cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RossBroadley
Level: Powered On

Thoughts on improved rendering?

Hey guys! 
I've just finished developing an app which is for workplace inspections. 
I had many issues with my published app manifesting different behaviour vs live preview. For instance, my collection data would not display in galleries unless I navigated screens and went back. (
Also had an issue with getting powerapps to pull through a collected email into my HTML Table. 

To resolve these issues I had to disable Improved Rendering, as for some reason after the latest PowerApps update, Improved Rendering no longer allows my app to function as intended with the above issues. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience? 

5 REPLIES 5
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Thoughts on improved rendering?

ON of the factors that makes improved rendering work is increased caching.  I suspect that caching is what is causing the issues in your app.  That is not unexpected.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @RossBroadley ,

Could you tell me

1)how do you create collection (set which property)?

2)the gallery's items property?

If you could show me more details about this collection, it will be better to help me understand your issue.

Based on your description, I've made a similar test but not met the same problem.

Even if I turn on "improve rendering", the gallery will display collection in normal.

If you run the app in browser, please try to clean the browser's cache.

If you run the app in mobile device, try to click the "Clear Cache" option within PowerApps Mobile App.

Try again later.

If the problem still exists, please tell me. I will report this problem to my product team.

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
RossBroadley

Hi, I'll attach some screenshots so you can have a better idea of my app. 

The collection is set to exectute when you press a button which says "Add". 
I have read that you can add collection to the OnStart property, but I'm not exactly sure how that would work? Like, would that not collect the blank inputs before the user presses add? 

Also I cleared cache etc when I was having the issue with Improved Rendering as I had a feeling that it was cache. But it didn't resolve the issue. 
The only resolution I could find was to disable improved rendering. 
Live-Preview-Inspection.PNGThis is an example of the input. The collection is called when you press "Add" or "Add With Image"Published-Basket-Bug.PNGThis is an example of what happens on the next screen when you display the items in a gallery.Working-Gallery.PNGThis is the working gallery. With Improved Rendering switched off.

RossBroadley

Hi @Pstork1 
I had a feeling caching would be something to do with what's happening. 
Do you have any useful tips to manage cache so that strange behaviours don't occur with published apps using Improved Rendering? 
Apparently you can add collections to the OnStart or OnVisible property, but I'm not sure how that would work. I was under the imperssion that you would end up with a blank record in the collection as the user hadn't inputted data yet? 

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Two things

1) Improved Rendering is still in preview, so its still a work in progress.  Hoepfully the balance with caching will improve before it goes to production.  So if it causes issues at this point one option is to turn it off.

2) There are things that you can do.  Primarily its a matter of using Refresh(datasource) to refresh the cached copy or moving to a local cache that you control by adding the records you are working with from your datasource to a local collection and working with them there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Coming Soon: T-Shirt Design Contest

Keep your eyes open for our upcoming T-shirt design contest!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,563)