Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Total rows in SP which can be loaded in PowerApps

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of creating an app and after my demo, I was just informed that they are planning to load around 100k rows of data in a SP list. If my filtering is in place, around 8k data will be loaded at one time. I'm worried that if I pull everything in one go, the app might freeze and it might cause some performance issue. I know I should be testing this but I don't have the data currently.

Some questions I have in mind:

1. Is there a number of rows PowerApps can pull in a particular gallery? I read somewhere that it's 500 but just in case I have 8k rows in a gallery and did a "Search" formula, will I still be able to get the data I need considering, for example, said data is in row 5,678.
  2. If I load the SP List initially in a collection, what's the total number of row it can retrieve? Will it still be 500?
  3. Can I load multiple SP List in a collection? I'm thinking of separating 100k rows into different SP lists based on a particular column.
  4. Is there any other way around so that the app won't freeze in initial load? I'll be displaying 20+ fields per item. 

Would greatly appreciate it if anyone can share some references, sources or readings regarding this matter.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Total rows in SP which can be loaded in PowerApps

Hi @keihimekawa 

To use very large lists in SharePoint efficiently, you must use delegatable functions only:  https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/sharepoint-delegation-improvements/  .  When you reach an impass because there are functions that you want to use that are not delegatable, my suggestion would be to move to SQL or CDS to store your data.   

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Total rows in SP which can be loaded in PowerApps

Hi,

Please find below my inline comments - 

1. Is there a number of rows PowerApps can pull in a particular gallery? I read somewhere that it's 500 but just in case I have 8k rows in a gallery and did a "Search" formula, will I still be able to get the data I need considering, for example, said data is in row 5,678.[yes power apps will load the first 500 records in the gallery but as will scroll down it will start to show more. Search function is not delegable to SharePoint which means it cannot work with large data set so you need to use the combination of filter function along with startwith]
  2. If I load the SP List initially in a collection, what's the total number of row it can retrieve? Will it still be 500?[by default its 500 but you can set it up to 2k. Just go to Your App Setting > Advanced Setting > Data row limit to nondelegable query.]
  3. Can I load multiple SP List in a collection? I'm thinking of separating 100k rows into different SP lists based on a particular column.[If the lists have same schema then you can use collect. Loading a large amount of data in collections is not a good idea. ]
  4. Is there any other way around so that the app won't freeze in initial load? I'll be displaying 20+ fields per item. [Try using concurrent function while fetching the data from the data source -  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-concurrent ] 

here is a nice video about how to work with large data in sharepoint - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwiErbYtRdA

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,872)