Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Trigger Field Change Based on Another Entity Field Value in Model-Driven Apps

Hello,

I am building a fairly basic Case Management System using Model-Driven Apps in PowerApps. I am trying to create a basic way of tracking specific status criteria of each Case. I have found Workflow helpful but it is quite set in stone and not all real world Cases follow this quite rigid linear path and may jump stages, repeat stages etc. I have also tried using Business Rules but this appears to be limited to within an entity.

Anyway, I basically want to setup something like a 'Status' option set field, much like how the OOTB Status field displays whether a record is Active or Inactive. I want to set this up so that (for example) this custom 'Status' field would change based on a field change elsewhere...this is possible through Business Rules however I can't find a way to make this possible if I want to set the custom 'Status' field to change based on another entity's field value.

To give an example, I would like each Case to have (at least) 3 status options:

1. Referral received

2. Referral validated

3. First Contact

My solution was to create 3 separate fields for each of these status options which will then be marked as Yes or No depending on whether they have taken place. The first 2 status options were possible to set through Business Rules however, I would like the 3rd option status (First Contact) to be based upon a field change to a different entity (which would be related to the Case record).

My questions are: Is there a way to set this up in the way that I have started to do this? Or is there a much better way to do this? I want this process to all be automated - would Flow be able to do this?

Thanks for getting this far and any thoughts would be really appreciated 🙂

Joe

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have exactly the same requirement.  I have a new hire entity and when the user selects a job title I want to bring over the job grade from the job title entity.  These entities are linked via a lookup field.  This gets me the job title but how can I bring over other field values?

I know that using Javascript is one way to do this -->https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/developer/model-driven-apps/client-scripting.  However I've been trying to do this without code with no success.  This looked promising but I can't seem to get it to work --> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/map-entity-fields

Has any one else done this?

Thanks,

Lee

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,637)