cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
water-guy-5
Helper II
Helper II

Trigger a send email without using a flow

Hello, I have an expense report app where I am trying to create a path of email notifications where someone would need to approve a request.

I understand that there are ways that I could do this more simply, such as Office365Outlook.SendEmail or a flow using the Manager() function. The problem is that this application is very specific, and the approvals might vary based on the type of expense and other things. As a workaround, I have created a SP List titled "Employee Database" where each employee has a supervisor/manager column. When they submit the expense form, I want a function that sends an email to the submitters manager/supervisor.

Once approved by the supervisor, it will always go to our accountant. 

So they process should look something like this. Let's say we have three people. Employee, Supervisor, and Accountant.

The Employee submits a form. Hidden on the page is a "submittedbyemail" textbox that uses an Office365Users connection. I take that email and use a lookup to find the Supervisor email in my EmployeeDatabase SP List as referenced above.

I want the "Submit" button to trigger and email notification to whoever's email is in that lookup box. Once the supervisor approves, it should be pretty easy cause I can just manually enter the Accountant email since it will be the same for ALL entries.

Can this be done?

1 REPLY 1
One
Super User
Super User

hi @water-guy-5,

Yes that can be done. you could even simplify the process of fetching their supervisor email by delegating that to the OnStart. I would also have the email be sent on the OnSuccess property of your form so that emails are only sent if the form is successfully submitted. I am not sure why you don't want to use Office365Outlook.SendEmail, but there are other mail connectors that can be used instead. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click "Accept as Solution" if this post answered your question so that it is helpful for people having similar questions. If you found this post helpful smack that Thumbs up button! Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,203)