Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cah2035
Helper III
Helper III

Two different relationships between two tables

Hi all,

I am trying to work through some confusion about relating two tables. My app has a storage component. There are three tables:

• 'Storage Units' are entities that contain spaces to be occupied (like a cabinet)
  • 'Storage Slots' are the spaces within a particular unit that can be occupied
  • 'Items' are things can occupy slots

However, a storage slot can also be occupied by another storage unit, so there are two relationships that exist. One storage unit contains many slots, and one slot can contain either a unit or an item. I am struggling with how to handle the "parent unit" - "child slot" - "child unit" dichotomy. Is a many-to-many relationship what I need, or do I need to different tables for units?

3 REPLIES 3
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @cah2035 ,

You have not stated your data source here, but "normalised" structures like you have do not always fit the purpose. In your circumstances, I would have one table for 'Storage Units' and 'Storage Slots' (you will have duplicate entries on the first item) and a second table for Items. Also, if you have a non-relational data source (like SharePoint), then you will have a lot of non-Delegable queries to contend with.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

Hi @WarrenBelz 

Sorry, I am using Dataverse (Dataverse for Teams) and so I have built these relationships directly.

Hi @cah2035 ,

I do not use Dataverse (or Teams), so cannot offer code here, but I still suggest you consider the other comments I made.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,560)