Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joef
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

USPS barcode issues

Hi All,

I am creating an app to scan package barcodes and choose a tenant to deliver the packages to.

1) I choose a tenant, then I scan, scan,scan into a collection. on submit, I patch() the collection into my SPO list.  Everything is working perfectly (when I don't use a USPS barcode)...

2) I go to the deliver package screen where I choose a tenant, scan the barcode, and change the status to delivered to Tenant.

( I haven't figured out how to get them all into a collection for a mass update of "delivery status", that's for another post 🙂 unless...)

For all barcodes, UPS, FedEx, candy wrappers... all work great.

If I scan a USPS barcode, it seems to check in with no issue, but the retrieval is not working.

I attached screenshot of my errors I am getting. 

When I first scan a USPS I get an 8 digit barcodescanner1.value. Looks good to me!

When I look at the item in the APP I see a bar of about 30 digits again looks good to me 🙂  figured the first 8 is a display issue.

I send an alert to the tenant using Outlook.sendemail in my Patch(), and the alert has the same 30 digit bar again all seems fine!

I go to deliver the package, I choose the tenant (I have a checker to make sure the tenant is correct and the Bar exists).

I scan the bar and I get "an error occurred on the server" (see attachment)

in the SPO list I see there is a square between the first 8 I get when I scan in the first step above and the rest of the 30 digits (see attachment).  

has anyone had this issue? 

Does anyone know how to get around this? 

It seems like the square is the cause of my retrieval issue..  

Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. 

Otherwise I will have to tell my mailroom not to accept packages from USPS any longer 🙂

TIA,

Joe

5 REPLIES 5
KennethNicasens
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hello @joef ,

Do you know what kind of barcode they use? EAN128?

I don't think the scanner supports all barcode types.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/controls/control-new-barcode-scanner

joef
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @KennethNicasens ,

I am not sure what kind of barcode they use, but it scans fine when I send it to my SPO list.  the retrieval of the barcode is what is erroring on me.

1) I choose a tenant and I scan, scan, scan to a collection, then I Patch() the collection into my SPO list

2) I go to deliver the package, I choose the tenant and scan the USPS barcode that was sent into my list with no problem, and I get the error in my attachment.

I don't think this is a barcode type issue, I think it's a PowerApp issue.

Thanks,

Joe

OscarB
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue.  Hard to beleive Microsaoft has not added this as a pending feature considering 3/4 of all Amazon packages are now delivered by the USPS and even some UPS packages are now delivered by USPS with an agreement between companies.

From what I can tell Power Apps supports the following types (but not what sees to be Code204 which from what I can tell is what USPS uses at least for Priority mail.) :  

Aztec

Codabar

Code128

Code39

Code93

DataMatrix

EAN

I2of5

Pdf47

QRCode

RSS14

RSSExpanded

Upc

If anyone has figured out a workaround to this please let me know.

joef
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I added this to the user voice.  Please vote for it maybe we can get MS to fix the issue.

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/40740481-powerapps-barcode-doe...

OscarB
Regular Visitor

1 year later and still no progress?   Now I find it does not support the Amazon barcode that they use with their own Prime delivery as well, so over 75% of packages shipped by Amazon for the US'. 200 million accounts are not scannable?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (2,347)