cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anthonys123
Helper III
Helper III

Unable to calculate calculated text Value(Thing_Calculated.Text)*5

I'm doing a calculation for security camera storage requirements. I'm getting an error with Value(BaseStorage_Calculated.Text) that says, "This rule creates a circular reference between properties. A property can not reference itself or other properties affected by its value."  I'm not sure how that makes sense. 

The formula for BaseStorage_Calculated is;

If(Resolution_Value.Selected.Value="1.3",".06", If(Resolution_Value.Selected.Value="2",".06", If(Resolution_Value.Selected.Value="3",".06", If(Resolution_Value.Selected.Value="4",".06", If(Resolution_Value.Selected.Value="5",".09", If(Resolution_Value.Selected.Value="6",".09", If(Resolution_Value.Selected.Value="8",".12", If(Resolution_Value.Selected.Value="12",".35"))))))))  

Resolution_Value.Selected.Value is a Choice dropdown in PowerApp from a SPO List. 

I'm referencing this post for converting the text to a value Solved: Calculation of Labels / Text Input inside PowerApp - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com... So, based on Value(TextLabelKilometers.Text) * .9 I think my formula is correct.   

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 1.48.14 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I just used a similar setup to try to reproduce your error and I can't get it to error out.  copy your IF() formula to a notepad and replace it with a hard coded ".06" to see if you are still getting the error.  Otherwise its something in the dropdown.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The problem isn't specifically with the formula for calculating BaseStorage_Calculated.  The question is where is that Value() used?  Does it affect the Dropdown in some way?  Or are you using it to set the default value of BaseStorage_Calculated?

It's not doing anything yet. It's just Value(BaseStorage_Calculated.Text)*4 in a label. 

Updated my original post with a screenshot. 

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I just used a similar setup to try to reproduce your error and I can't get it to error out.  copy your IF() formula to a notepad and replace it with a hard coded ".06" to see if you are still getting the error.  Otherwise its something in the dropdown.

View solution in original post

Yep. Error clears when I replace the formula with a number. And now when I put the formula back I'm getting the same error on that. Will have to chance this down.

Thanks. 

Moving the label for Value(BaseStorage_Calculated.Text)*4 to the same screen as the other formulas resolved the issue. Would you know why that would be the case?

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

That would do it.  Global variables hold their values across all the screens, but controls and context variables only hold their value for the most part while you are on the screen.  Especially values that are calculated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Carousel April Dunnam Updated 768x460.jpg

Urdu Hindi D365 Bootcamp

Dont miss our very own April Dunnam’s The Developer Guide to the Galaxy! Find out what the Power Platform has to offer for the traditional developer.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,091)