Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Unable to create custom connector for REST api

First off I have been able to connect to a similar REST api maybe two weeks ago.

I follow the same steps (that I know of).

  •  Create new custom connector - Import an OpenAPI file.
    • I enter a connector name and select my swagger file and import.  There are no warnings or errors I can see.
  • On the General Information screen Adman_-_General_Information.png
    • I select connect via on-premises data gateway (I use the same gateway as other working custom connectors)
    • I select HTTP (which I also selected on working custom connectors)
    • Both the Host and the Base URL are correct (although the Host appears different to protect the innocent)
  • On the Security Panel
    • I make no changes and leave No Authentication
  • On the Definition Panel everything appears correct
    • I see my 5 actions and I click on each one and confirm that everything looks correct 
    • I switch to the Swagger editor Adman_-_Definition.pngand again everything looks correct
    • I then save the custom connector.
  • I now go the Test Panel
    • I select my newly created connection
    • I see my five Operations Adman_-_Test_1.png
    • I select GetAllAds (which is the easiest as there are no parameters) and click on Test operation
    • The test fails Adman_-_Test_2.png
  • I go to the Definition Panel and all the definitions are gone. Adman_-_Definition_2.png

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

Frequent Visitor

As a follow up to this issue I created a new version of this same connector using the same OpenApi file but giving it a different name and it is saved correctly.  So I'm thinking that there is nothing that I'm doing wrong on my end.

How do I get in touch with Microsoft to report this.  When I click on the report an issue link it takes me right back to the Community forums.





did you find a solution? im having the same issue... everything is fine, swagger editor works fine, only when it comes to testing the action i fail


Are you trying to connect to an IBM i (AS400)? That is my case.

The api that I was attempting to connect to could be called by myserver/customer to show all customers.  When I created the custom connector and tested this worked.

But when I added state to the path (myserver/customer/CA) it failed with the error we've seen.

On a recommendation from a colleague I created myserver/customer/123 to get the customer details for customer 123.  This worked.


So if the parameter is a number (the customer number is a number) it works.  If the parameter is a string (state is a string) then it fails.


Like you, I looked at the swagger and can't see any issues.


If I find the issue I'll update this message.  And if you find a solution please update this message.






Helpful resources

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.


Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (13,927)