cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomKen

Unable to setup Lookup Description in power apps Canvas

Still fairly new dealing with power apps. But I took over from the previous SharePoint tech out my company and they setup a bunch of look ups with descriptions that should show up in the form that is needing to be created. 

When I try it only provides the title of the item not the description but within SharePoint it shows as something that I can select that will take me to the description. Anyone able to assist with this? 

Thank you in advance 

2 REPLIES 2
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@TomKen 

A dropdown control contains the entire record even if it only shows one value in the window. All the others can be referenced. So a label with the text Dropdown1.Selected.description will give it even though the window of the dropdown shows only the title.

The same is true for a record selected in a gallery or datatable.

cwebb365
Super User
Super User

Here is a great video covering using Lookup columns in SharePoint I suggest you watch to understand them. Depending if the column is shown in the main list or not you can reference, otherwise you will just have to directly link your items property on the drop down to the SharePoint list containing those services and use the Description field there, then you will modify the forms "Update" property on that card to write back the lookup value in the proper format by lookup up the ID of the item you're selecting in the drop down. 

Which the Update would look something like: 
{
'@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference",
Id: ID,
Value: Title
}

Lookups aren't always fun to work with unfortunately. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (4,949)