cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate II
Advocate II

Unable to submit form due to 'Title' field required, but is not there

Hi,

I have created a form via my sharepoint and as many of you will know it always adds a 'Title' field. I have removed this from the Form, connected the data on my app arranged the icons and all other aspect seem to be working. However, when I am submitting the form after completing, I get an error saying that data is missing - this is due to that little annoying 'Title' field. 

How to I prevent this from happen? Is there anything I can do to bypass it? Or how do I find it? I cannot seem to see it anywhere on my my form on my application. Quite a confusing one, I didn't have this issue last time. 

Thanks in advance. 

13 REPLIES 13

Hi @Pstork1 

Yes this has always been an problem with SharePoint for years since about 2001 !

But until recently, you could ignore the "Title" field. - You could set it to "Optional" and PowerApps / SHarePoint would respect that.  Now whatever you set the "Title" column to, PowerApps / SharePoint bounces any Submits - Title: Field Required.  (Patches still work though !) This is very annoying as there has been no announcements made saying this was going to change.  CAn we not go back to the old way of PowerApps / SharePoint respecting what you have the column set to - Required or Optional.

Thanks

Nigel

View solution in original post

Frequent Visitor

As long as you make the Title field optional BEFORE you create your PowerApp, you won't have any errors.

If you create the PowerApp first and then go into the list settings and make the title field optional, you'll continue to receive errors. 

Hi @Microuts 

Thats Interesting !

So once the PowerApps has been created you can NEVER change the Title field to optional in the SharePoint List ?

Thanks

Nigel

Hi @NigelP @Microuts ,

This is definitely not the case, I am happy to explain what the issue you are both facing is.

You can definitely change the Title field to 'not required' after you have created the PowerApp - I have done this multiple times.

What I will say to this, is that once you have created the App, if you change ANY field to 'required'/'not required' in the SharePoint list, this setting does NOT update within the App's forms when you refresh the DataSource if you ONLY update the data source. These DataCards then need to be manually set to 'Not Required'/'Required' as they are static cards, or the datacards need to be replaced entirely.

I'll demonstrate:

I make a List in SharePoint, the Title field is required and I've set the Personfield to Required:

image.png

Add in some test data via the List itself:

image.png

Create the App using Create from DataSource (this applies all the default values, and no human error):

image.png

Now we set Title to 'Not Required' in SharePoint, and then Refresh the Data Source in PowerApps:

image.png

image.png

Now we can see that even after refreshing, the Required field has not changed on the DataCard:

image.png

Now we have two options.

1. Unlock the Card and set Required to false
    image.png

OR

2. Change the DataSource to anything else (making the form invalid), then choosing that data source again to recreate all of the cards:
    image.png

image.png
    image.png

Using Method 1 - we set it to Required: false and try submit a new item, which we can see it has successfully done:

image.png

Using method 2 of recreating the datacards, we can see that it's now picked up the correct Required status for Title:

image.png

So there's proof that it works!

If you're having any issues please let me know what you are having issues with so that I can help you find a solution 🙂

Cheers,

@iAm_ManCat 

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (91,017)