cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrlang02
Frequent Visitor

Unable to view current value in gallery 'The property on this control expects table values'

I am working with two Sharepoint Lists as datasources: 

List 1:  TrainingPlan - list of job titles and courses required

List 2: Trainings - list of courses

Both have a text field called “Training_Name”

I have an grid-like gallery (CurrentTrainingPlan, attached) based on the TrainingPlan list.  

Desired function: When in Edit mode, I can select“Training_Name” values from the Trainings list in the CourseCombo combobox and patch the value to the TrainingPlan SP list. 

Problem:  I can't get the existing/updated value of Training_Name  to be visible in CourseCombo.  I have tried both of these solutions with no success:

DefaultSelectedItems=ThisItem.Training_Name

Default=ThisItem.Training_Name

The error message says 'The property on this control expects table values, the rule produces text values which are incompatible.'

screen5.png

So how do I get the combobox to show the current value of Training_Name for each record?

4 REPLIES 4
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @mrlang02 ,

You need 

{xxx:ThisItem.Training_Name}

where xxx depends on the Items property of the Combo Box.

When you type YourComboBoxName.Selected. (note second dot), valid values will come up underneath. For some guidance of what they mean: -

• If your Items are Choices(ListName.FieldName) - a Choices or Lookup field), the reference will be YourComboBoxName.Selected.Value
  • If they are Distinct( . . .  .), it will be YourComboBoxName.Selected.Result
  • The other option is when they are based on a field value in a list (other than Distinct), then it will be YourComboBoxName.Selected.FieldName (actual field name)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Hi @mrlang02 ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

carterprine
Helper II
Helper II

@mrlang02: Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I have the same exact problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

carterprine
Helper II
Helper II

I found a workaround, but it's far from perfect. In the gallery, I inserted a label over the drop-down which pulls the text value from the newly patched column. It works, and it isn't noticeable to the end-user, but it's certainly limiting. It would be nice to have a true solution here.

Cheers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (2,411)