cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PowerApps23
Regular Visitor

Unexpected error without System Administrator or System Customizer role.

Hi All, 

I have a model driven app and have customized the Project entity from the MS Project Solution (and added additional customer entities). Now i want to add security to my solution. I have created a role (called Project Managers) and given it all the security permissions that are required for my custom entities.

For users of the app i wanted to assign common data service role (So that it takes care of all the basic access for me) in addition to my custom role (to give the required permissions for my custom entities). 

The problem is that i can navigate to any entity in my app without issue but if i tried to open a Project record i get the below error. If i assign the user System Admin or System Cusomizer role i do not get the error. 

image.png

So to try and narrow down if it was any permissions i was missing i created another role and gave it permission to everything (In all the tabs below i gave all permissions). Essentially making the user a System Admin.  But it still gives an error. As soon as i assign the default System Admin or System Customizer role for the user i have no issues. 

image.png

Would appreciate any guidance for this issue. 

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I was able to solve the issue with the help of Microsoft support.  Thanks @v-bofeng-msft  for your help. 

For anyone in the future the issue was that even though i had given the user all the required roles I had not enabled the role on the form. Enabling the role like below solved the issue. 

Security Solved.PNG

Cheers

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-bofeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerApps23 :

I've made a similar test but did not encounted the problem you mentioned.

2.JPG3.JPG

Could you tell me have you selected the Common Data Service User role?

Hope this link is helpful to you:

Create a custom role

Best Regards,

Bof

Hi @v-bofeng-msft , 

Thanks for looking into this. Yes i have give the user Common Data Service role. In fact i have given every role except System Administrator and System Customizer. I created a custom role and give it access to everything (all core entities, all custom entities, all Business process flows etc) it still does not work and gives me the error but if i just give the System Admin or Customizer role it works without issue. 

I think there is something specific to the Project entity that is causing it as my app has Sub grids to other entities. If i go directly to any other entity i do not get an error. I initially thought it was Business process flow or some javascript action on form load but i disabled all those things as well but no luck. 

Are you able to think of any other reason this could happen or if there is a way to debug what the actual error is, as the message that i pasted in my initial post does not tell me much. 

Cheers

Hi @PowerApps23 :

I noticed that the screenshot you gave is the setting of the Core Records tab. How is the Custom Entities tab set?

1.jpg

Best Regards,

Bof

Hi @v-bofeng-msft 

All the custom entities (and also all the rest of the tabs like service, business management, customization etc) has the privileges too

image.png

Hi @PowerApps23 :

Even though I tested it many times, I still didn't encounter the problem you mentioned. I think it might be the reason for the setting of the entity as you said.
Since System Admin or System Customizer role is available, I think there must be a permission that affects whether you can access this entity.

Although I am not sure, maybe you can refer to the permissions of these two roles and try to configure the privacy-related privileges and other privileges of the custom security role

Best Regards,

Bof

Hi @v-bofeng-msft , 

Thats what i tried to do. I thought the system admin had some privilege that my role did not have to for the test role i thought i would make it work by giving all the permissions available and then once it works scale it done one by by till i find out what is the missing permission. But if even giving all the permissions is not working has me confused. I have logged a support ticket. Hopefully can get some resolution soon. 

Cheers

I was able to solve the issue with the help of Microsoft support.  Thanks @v-bofeng-msft  for your help. 

For anyone in the future the issue was that even though i had given the user all the required roles I had not enabled the role on the form. Enabling the role like below solved the issue. 

Security Solved.PNG

Cheers

View solution in original post

Hi @PowerApps23 :

Thanks for sharing.😀

Best Regards,

Bof

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call? Check out the recording here!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (18,075)