cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

Unsaved Property of Edit Form Is Always True

The Unsaved property of my Edit Form form always has a value of true, even when I have made no changes. My form is in FormMode.Edit.

As a test I created a button with this code in the OnSelect property.  The Edit Form still shows Unsaved as true after I click the button

ResetForm(Form1);

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up." 

14 REPLIES 14
james_hathaway
Advocate III
Advocate III

I see that we're 6 months later, and still no fix, or even a response from Microsoft....

Just to let you all know that I'm still having major issues with Form.Unsaved - it is simply not usable.

@v-bofeng-msft - Please can we have some sort of response from Microsoft?

James.

appyourdata
Frequent Visitor

Hi guys,

I think I found a possible workaround. I included a ResetForm(FormWithTheIssue) on the Onvisible of the screen where the form is located.

That seems to have fixed my issue.

Hope it helps

Manuel

biterbit
Advocate V
Advocate V

I don't think that a form reset is a universal solution. Having hit this issue, I added a button with an OnSelect property of ResetForm(formName) and the form's Unsaved property remains true . My experience is that loading a record into a form sets the Unsaved property to true, and this remains even after a form reset. The Unsaved property is only set to false when the form is first in New mode.

sguthrie1

One thing I've notice that can cause the .Unsaved property to not behave as expected is default values.  This is because after the form is loaded it sets the defaults.  If these defaults differ from what is stored in the data source (SharePoint in my case) then it will consider the data changed.  Ultimately, I believe the .Unsaved property is only triggered when something on the field on the form differs from what is in the database and that by coding things certain ways you can have unintended consequences that cause this to happen.

The best solution to avoid this is to move away from the use of form using the Submit command and move to using Patch, which will give you much more control over when things are determined as Saved or Not Saved as well as other aspects of programming in PowerApps.  While I still use forms occasionally, it is when I just want to do something quick.  Anything that is going to be a long term solution for users I believe you'll want to migrate or start with the Patch method of saving your data.  Doing so will save you a lot of headaches.  Not to mention it is much easier to change your data source from say Sharepoint to SQLServer using this instead of the Form with Submit.

Hope this helps,
Steve

I posted this above as a reply, but meant it for you: 

One thing I've notice that can cause the .Unsaved property to not behave as expected is default values.  This is because after the form is loaded it sets the defaults.  If these defaults differ from what is stored in the data source (SharePoint in my case) then it will consider the data changed.  Ultimately, I believe the .Unsaved property is only triggered when something on the field on the form differs from what is in the database and that by coding things certain ways you can have unintended consequences that cause this to happen.

The best solution to avoid this is to move away from the use of form using the Submit command and move to using Patch, which will give you much more control over when things are determined as Saved or Not Saved as well as other aspects of programming in PowerApps.  While I still use forms occasionally, it is when I just want to do something quick.  Anything that is going to be a long term solution for users I believe you'll want to migrate or start with the Patch method of saving your data.  Doing so will save you a lot of headaches.  Not to mention it is much easier to change your data source from say Sharepoint to SQLServer using this instead of the Form with Submit.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (2,719)