cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Update Forumla: "The specified column is generated by the server and can't be spcified"

Howdy folks,

I've been wracking my brain over what should be a super simple problem all morning, and I'm a little over it at this point. Maybe one of you can help:

The Setup

Sharepoint List = 1 Row, 2 Columns

Column 2 = Multiline RichText

'Screen 1'  Htmltext Box = Sharepoint List (Column 2)  - - This part works fine

'Screen 2' RichTextField Button Updates Sharepoint List (Column 2) - - Button code is wrong

My Attempt:

Update Guide

After not having any luck with Patch, I found Update and gave it a shot. The below snippet doesn't return any errors EXCEPT the ID, and the following error is only given after I try to run it:

"The spficied column is generated by the server and can't be spcified"

If I remove it (shot in the dark there), I get "ID Field Required".

Screen 2 Button Code:

Update(MyList, First(Filter(MyList, Column1= "Title")), {ID:1, Column1: "Title", Column2: RichTextField.HtmlText})

I don't know what it's asking for, or if I'm even using the correct formula at this point.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Update Forumla: "The specified column is generated by the server and can't be spcified"

Bumping for visibility 

@TopShelf-MSFT 

Highlighted

Re: Update Forumla: "The specified column is generated by the server and can't be spcified"

Hi Peterson.

I was struggling with the same issue. 

I could complete the update by using UpdateIf.

When we use Update command, PowerApps recreate the line, somehow. See the explanation below:

(from: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-update-updateif)

Considering the following dataset: 

Capture.JPG

In one of the Update examples, we have a situation that the column Quantity is not specified. The column value in that case is left as blank. It seems that PowerApps recreate that record, what would be little weird :S 

Capture1.JPG

Thus, try it by using UpdateIf.

Hope I helped you 🙂

Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

@IPeterson 

The reason @mferna83 idea could work is as follows:

When patching into a Collection from SharePoint List, you may encounter issues with columns that were blank or empty in the SharePoint List that you want to populate with a value later and when you want to Patch to a Collection.

In this case, instead of using Patch, if you use an UpdateIf with a condition that is always true - this may work here.

The reason is unknown, and it may not make sense, but the thing is it may just work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,273)