cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update SharePoint lookup column value without providing the ID

I have a form with cascading dropdowns, which have filtered single-column collections with distinct values as their Items property.

In order to update the underlying SharePoint lookup column, I have to provide an ID and a Value.

Is there a way to update the lookup column providing just a value?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

I could say change it to Text (you really need to ask yourself why you are using Lookup columns in the first place - I have not used them for many years), but the answer to your question, no you cannot. You need to use the Value to lookup the "looked up" list, then get the ID from that.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

I could say change it to Text (you really need to ask yourself why you are using Lookup columns in the first place - I have not used them for many years), but the answer to your question, no you cannot. You need to use the Value to lookup the "looked up" list, then get the ID from that.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WarrenBelz, thank you, I assumed so but hoped there was some nice workaround. I resolved it with a flow that - if the ID is blank - looks up the value in the related table, returns the ID and updates the lookup columns with that ID. Sometimes I have no choice and have to use lookup columns because the underlying SP lists rely on restrict delete for data integrity.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,980)