cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update a SharePoint List Item; while keeping the field in PowerApps invisible?

How do I 'Update' a SharePoint Online List Item; while keeping the field in PowerApps invisible?

I have a PowerApps form that controls System Access within my organization. It is connected to a SP online list. This list lets users select from a dropdown if Applications.

On a certain App list item, when the user selects lets say 'x'. I want 'x' to be updated in SP, but not show on the Datacard to the user on the form.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

I believe you can set the Visible property of the control you wish to hide to false.  You can also use a condition that reduces to false. The update property of a datacard does not depend on the control inside being visible. You can do this with either the card itself (it has a visible property) or the control inside of it. Try each way to see how it looks. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you show picture of the form?  It would help me understand exactly what you are trying to do.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely. In the attached screenshot of my form. When a user selects 'Docusign' from Applications; I have 'Docusign Permission Level' appear to set the permission value to 'View Only'.

But I need to have the the permissions value, which is 'defaulted' to View Only, be updated in the SP list without the user seeing 'Docusign Permission Level'.

Does that make sense?

Much thanks

Hi @Anonymous 

I believe you can set the Visible property of the control you wish to hide to false.  You can also use a condition that reduces to false. The update property of a datacard does not depend on the control inside being visible. You can do this with either the card itself (it has a visible property) or the control inside of it. Try each way to see how it looks. 

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was right in front of me. Such a simple solution. Since I did not want the user filling out the form to see that they are getting "View Only" permissions. I made the actual Combo Box/Drop down that was connected to the SharePoint List field, invisible. Than added a rule that: when 'Docusign' was selected from the Applications combo box; that it would "Hide" the full DataCard.

This way, the default value of the SharePoint field would be counted in the SharePoint list.

Thanks!

Hi @Anonymous 

Good Deal!  Sometimes we overcomplicate problems but the solution is easier than we thought.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok...so I'm back to square one again lol.

So just to recap; here is where I am at currently:

I have created a PowerApps form that Grants access to computer systems within my organization.

This PowerApps form's Data Source is controlled/connected by a SharePoint List. The user fills out this form in order to request our IT department to grant them access certain programs. For example; the user wants access the 'PowerBI' application(see attached file). They would fill out the form requesting PowerBI; and through Microsoft Flow/PowerAutomate, (a workflow software) a copy of that form is sent to our Help Desk technicians who in turn, read what is on the form and grant access based on that information.

The way I have the PowerApps form set up currently; when an option for the "Applications" field is chosen that has more than one "Role", i.e. = Database Permissions for Sales, Finance, Quality, etc... I have a field in PowerApps which is hidden (PowerBI App Access), until it's is selected from the Applications drop down. So basically the "Roles/Permissions" fields have conditional logic to make them visible when there name is called. These "Roles/Permission" fields are controlled by a SharePoint list that has all of the Roles.

Now this works great and "meshes" well with the "work-flow" program PowerAutomate. But for this requirement; I need to make the form NOT show the "Permissions/Roles" field when the user is filling it out. But I still need to "Pass" the "Defaulted" SharePoint Item value (which would be "Read Only") through the workflow program; so everyone that requests access to "PowerBI" is defaulted to "Read Only". I completely understand how to make the "Datacards" invisible and have them revealed by Creating Rules with conditional logic to make it appear.

In conclusion;

I simply need to have a drop down item pass a defaulted value to my workflow, without the defaulted value being displayed on the form. I'm going crazy over this lol

Thank you in advance for any help with this task.

Hi @Anonymous 

The Update property of the card itself is the only relevant part that is saved when the form is submitted. It doesn't matter whether the card or its control is visible or not.   Set the Update property of the card to reflect the default value you wish to save, (it could be the Parent.Default of the card or some other calculation).  I usually go with something like If(IsBlank(Parent.Default), somevalue, Parent.Default).  This allows for  somevalue to be saved when in the form's mode is New and to retain the field value when the form is being edited.  This completely eliminates the User from entering or changing data but saves a value in the field.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! Thank you I will try and let you know. Thanks again for responding so soon. I love this community!

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (64,387)