cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OwninJoe
Helper I
Helper I

Update and Create SP List Items using Patch from multi-screen form

Hey guys, I have an issue I'm trying to work through but I cant seem to solve it. I have a SharePoint List that is broken into 6 separate screens based on sections, I.e. Section A, B, C.... When the form is created from the 'New' Button, all the subsequent forms are set to FormMode.New, and when the user is editing a previous entry, the forms are all FormMode.Edit so that I can utilize the 'Item' Property. On the last page of the form, I need to submit everything, So I check what mode the form is in, and then patch the form to my SP List as follows:

If(IsFormInvalid = false,
	If(IRFormSectionG_Form.Mode = FormMode.New,
		Patch(
			Collection, 
			Defaults(Collection),
			IRFormSectionA_Form.Updates,
			IRFormSectionB_Form.Updates,
			IRFormSectionC_Form.Updates,
			IRFormSectionD_Form.Updates,
			IRFormSectionEF_Form.Updates,
			IRFormSectionG_Form.Updates
		),
		Patch( 
			Collection,
                        QueryFilter,
		)
	)
);

I've verified that the QueryFilter, I.e. the item from the SP list that I want to update is the correct one, but for whatever reason, when the form is in edit mode and I submit, nothing happens. No new records are added or updated but according to the documentation, this should be correct. Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

My suggestion is that when working with SharePoint, place a Refresh() action ahead of operations.

So ahead of selecting an item to edit, insert a Refresh:

// Refresh the datasource.
Refresh(datasource_name);

// Set the selected item to a variable to be referenced in forms.
Set(displayItem,ThisItem);

// Go to the next screen.
Navigate(IRFormSectionA,ScreenTransition.None)

You can hold the selected item temporarily using With() and use Lookup to very explicitly get the record from SharePoint:

With(
    {
        selectedRecord: ThisItem
    },
    Set(displayItem,LookUp(datasource_name,ID=selectedRecord.ID));
)

It looks like displayItem is used on all the screens so it is best to set it to a global variable instead of local. This is done by using Set() as in the examples above.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Mr-Dang-MSFT
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hi @OwninJoe ,

Can you share the formula you use for setting the form mode? Do you perform a Refresh() on the SharePoint list at any point?

I set the form mode when the user selects either "New" or "Edit" with the following:

NewForm(IRFormSectionA_Form);
NewForm(IRFormSectionB_Form);
NewForm(IRFormSectionC_Form);
NewForm(IRFormSectionD_Form);
NewForm(IRFormSectionEF_Form);
NewForm(IRFormSectionG_Form);

Navigate(IRFormSectionA, Transition.Push);

From there, every time the user continues through the form by selecting "Next", I simply use Navigate(IRFormSection-); since the form mode should already be set to either 'New' or 'Edit. Finally, On the 'submit' action, I check the form mode based on the last section and patch accordingly.

Can you share the formula you use for setting the form mode to edit mode and when/where this occurs? Is QueryFilter a variable? 

From a gallery, I've added the following code to the onSelect of the item to allow for editing:

EditForm(IRFormSectionA_Form);
EditForm(IRFormSectionB_Form);
EditForm(IRFormSectionC_Form);
EditForm(IRFormSectionD_Form);
EditForm(IRFormSectionEF_Form);
EditForm(IRFormSectionG_Form);
Navigate(IRFormSectionA,ScreenTransition.None, {displayItem:ThisItem})

This switches all forms to edit mode and then passes the currently selected item to the first form on navigation to be used as the Item property of the form.

When a user creates a new form, the select the new button and the following code is associated with that buttons onSelect method:

NewForm(IRFormSectionA_Form);
NewForm(IRFormSectionB_Form);
NewForm(IRFormSectionC_Form);
NewForm(IRFormSectionD_Form);
NewForm(IRFormSectionEF_Form);
NewForm(IRFormSectionG_Form);
Navigate(IRFormSectionA, Transition.Push);

In this scenario, there is no selected item to pass with the navigation change, and all forms are set to the new EditForm mode.

Once the user completes section A, and all subsequent sections, the 'Next' button onSelect looks like this:

If(IsFormInvalid = false,
Navigate(IRFormSectionB, Transition.None, {displayItem:displayItem})
);

So once the user finishes section A and clicks 'next', we check if the form is valid, and then we navigate to the next section of the form passing along the displayItem. This display item is only valid when the form is in edit mode and should be ignored otherwise.

QueryFilter is a variable that I set to get the current item's associated sharepoint list item in order to update it using patch(). Currently, if the form is in the 'New' mode, the QueryFilter is skipped and we use default(SPList) in it's place as per the MS documentation.

My suggestion is that when working with SharePoint, place a Refresh() action ahead of operations.

So ahead of selecting an item to edit, insert a Refresh:

// Refresh the datasource.

// Set the selected item to a variable to be referenced in forms.
Set(displayItem,ThisItem);

// Go to the next screen.

You can hold the selected item temporarily using With() and use Lookup to very explicitly get the record from SharePoint:

With(
    {
        selectedRecord: ThisItem
    },
    Set(displayItem,LookUp(datasource_name,ID=selectedRecord.ID));
)

It looks like displayItem is used on all the screens so it is best to set it to a global variable instead of local. This is done by using Set() as in the examples above.

View solution in original post

v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OwninJoe ,

How do you set up your QueryFilter variable? Could you please share more details about the formula?

Based on the formula that you mentioned, I could not find any syntax error with it. Please make sure the QueryFilter variable stores a record value which you want to update from your SP List.

I found that you have typed Collection as data source in your Patch formula, is it your SP List, or it is just a Collection variable. I have made a test on my side, please try to modify your formula as below:

If(
   IsFormInvalid = false,
   Patch(
         'Your SP List',  // replace it with your own actual SP List name
	   If(
              IRFormSectionG_Form.Mode = FormMode.New,
              Defaults('Your SP List'),
              LookUp('Your SP List', ID = QueryFilter.ID)  // I assume that the QueryFilter variable stores the SP List Item record you want to update
           ),
  )
);

Please try above formula, check if the issue is solved.

If above formula still could not work, I think this issue may be related to the QueryFilter variable that you mentioned. Please consider add the following formula within the OnSelect property of the Gallery:

Set(QueryFilter, ThisItem);  // Add this formula
EditForm(IRFormSectionA_Form);
EditForm(IRFormSectionB_Form);
EditForm(IRFormSectionC_Form);
EditForm(IRFormSectionD_Form);
EditForm(IRFormSectionEF_Form);
EditForm(IRFormSectionG_Form);
Navigate(IRFormSectionA,ScreenTransition.None, {displayItem:ThisItem})

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the help! looks like this worked. I think my issue was although I thought that the query item referred to the correct item, it didn't. So what I did was follow your steps and do a lookup to my SP list based on the selected item, ThisItem, and then used that as a global variable rather than passing the variable between each screen. I also then updated the patch method to remove the QueryFilter variable that I had and replaced it with the ThisItem variable that I had set because that's the item that needs to be updated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,504)