I'm not sure what's going on, but in the past few days I've added some columns on two of my Sharepoint lists, and for some reason they are not permanetly available in the app. Every time I open the app to edit it, I have to go and click the '...' next to the Data source and click Refresh. More importantly, any use of these fields causes the performance of my app to degrade as they are not recognized.
What can I do to fix this?
For one of my data sources, I was able to resolve the issue, though I feel it's really a temporary fix. There's still a bigger issue at play here:
I ultimately removed my data source and then add it again. Once I did, the patch worked. Is there something in the most recent version of the code that's blocking my up from retaining updates to the data source schema?
Also, due to the complexity of my app, when trying to repeat this process on another one of my data sources, Power Apps studio (desktop and web) freeze and become inoperable. I'm forced to quit and start a new session. What can I do?
About #1, I can reproduce this issue on my side. I create and save an app based on List B. Then add a Text column in the list. Reopen the app, I found that there is an error “Invalid name” for the newly added column. I need to refresh the data source to show the value of the new column.
About #2, what do you mean by “I ultimately removed my data source and then add it again. Once I did, the patch worked”? Do you have a Patch function? Do you mean that the Patch doesn’t work until you remove the data source then add it again?
About #3, I am not sure how is your app configured. For a simple test, I add several data sources to the app, then delete and re-add one of the data source, I don’t get the issue you mentioned. Could you provide more details to reproduce this issue?
If possible, please provide your Session ID. I will try to involve someone who is familiar with this issue to look into it.
@v-yamao-msft thanks for the reply.
My session ID is: 163a064d-e852-6d47-6d92-abdfe0eef998. In regards to your #2, the issue is an extension of #1. When I added the new columns in Sharepoint, and then come back to PowerApps, I have to click Refresh to see the new columns (this is all fine and expected). The real concern is that once I click refresh, and now the columns are available in PowerApps, saving the App does nothing, and each resulting time I open the app to edit it or view it on my phone, the columns are not available. Something is happening that's keeping the 'Refresh Data Source' command from committing the updates to the App's data source schema.
The 'temporary fix' of removing the data source and adding it again works, but one of my Sharepoint lists has many columns and is referenced on many screens. And due to the editing environment becoming unstable after removing the data source, I am actually unable to remove the DS without PowerApps studio completly freezing / shutting down. The DS I'm struggling with the most is 'translated_database'.
Please take a look at the session ID and see if you can identify the issue, and let me know if you need any further clarification.
I'm experiencing the same problem but with Common Data Service.
The refresh in edit mode is only temporary (it needs to be done every time) and there is no way to do it in the app.
Thanks for reporting this, we are actively investigating this.
A suggested workaround is to remove the data sources from your app and add it again. It should maintain all your data bindings.
I test this issue again on my side, seems that it has been fixed now. When I open the app again, the newly added columns can be refreshed automatically.
Please try it on your side and let me know if it is working for you now.
OHHHHH I had to remove and re-add a datasource for a small app I was testing, but didn't consider it had happened to one of my bigger apps--This is likely why my other app is not loading entirely.
Thanks for the post, @JPdarling9
Upon updating PowerApps Studio on my Windows 10 machine to 2.0.632.0, I did notice a slight performance increase in loading my app. Unfortunately, however, the issue still remains.
I am able to successfully refresh my datasource, which allows me access to the 'new' fields in question. Access to these fields, however, only remains for the duration of the PowerApps Studio session. If I do one of the following, I lose access to the fields: Close my PowerApps Studio session and start a new one, Open my app in Internet Explorer, Open my App on my iPhone. The only way I can access these new fields is while I'm in a session of PowerApps Studio, and only after I click to Refresh the data source.
To the name of my post, nothing has changed; Updating my data source is temporary. My current Session ID is: 1b5234e4-b7cb-105a-6da8-4c03f5fb8021
This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.
Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.
At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.