Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArtHavenShelter
Helper I
Helper I

Update dropdown in gallery after adding new dropdown value in Edit Form

Hi,
just got help in another topic about a combobox including a search solution. Now building further on this app.

I found a nice tutorial about adding a value in a dropdownbox in the EDIT FORM. So as soon as you use "Other" you can type an extra value for a choices menu in a sharepoint list. The sharepoint list will show the new choice value. 

The problem is, is that the dropdown box in the Browse Gallery doesn't update. 
I tried to use the function "allow manual choices" (roughly translated) in sharepoint list choice settings. That doesn't work because then I can't add new values anymore in the dropdown box. However, in Browse Gallery you will see the new value in the dropdown box. 

Below I have the script for the Dropdown in "Categorie". Which originally has only 3 options. And needs an "Anders" which will be stored after typing a new "Categorie" value.

Ungroup(
     Table(
         {DropdownOptions: Choices('De bieb'.Categorie)},
         {DropdownOptions: ["Anders"]}
     ),
     "DropdownOptions"
 )

I would like to have it shown also in the "Selecteer Categorie".  Which has ITEMS=Choices('De bieb'.Categorie) as the formula.

ArtHavenShelter_0-1648800702134.png

So, it seems like you can't have both. Just wondering if this assumption is correct or that I can try something else. 

In short:
SP has: choices.
Powerapp: has  "Other" in Edit Screen with the option too add a value. After updating SP has a new value in a list item. 
Browse Gallery: doesn't update with the new value. 

What to do...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KvB1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Heya,

This should be able to work.

The process would look like this:

- You select the value 'Anders'

- You enter a new choice

- The choice gets patched to SharePoint

- The new choice is presented in the dropdown, where the source is the SharePoint column

You indicate that you can verify that this new choice does get patched to SharePoint, so the problem is probably the last step. 

The dropdown has a data source, which gets imported to the app at the start of the app. Some actions refresh the database, others don't. 

Could you try adding a Refresh(DataSourceHere)  line?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ArtHavenShelter
Helper I
Helper I

@Expiscornovus, @ScottShearer , @KvB1  You guys helped me before so that's why I just add you in this commend. If you would like to help, suggest, I am happy to hear from you.

KvB1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Heya,

This should be able to work.

The process would look like this:

- You select the value 'Anders'

- You enter a new choice

- The choice gets patched to SharePoint

- The new choice is presented in the dropdown, where the source is the SharePoint column

You indicate that you can verify that this new choice does get patched to SharePoint, so the problem is probably the last step. 

The dropdown has a data source, which gets imported to the app at the start of the app. Some actions refresh the database, others don't. 

Could you try adding a Refresh(DataSourceHere)  line?

Hi!
Thanks for your step by step summary and your solution.

This worked indeed.

I added the Refresh(Datasource) on start of the app and changed the SP category settings to "allow add manual values".

It works perfectly. Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,008)