cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcregg
Advocate II
Advocate II

Update variable based on combo box selection.

I have a flow which parses some json containing an array of values. Two of the values in each items are then passed back to my app inside a collection. E.g.

Builds,
{
ID: "1",
Name "Test"
},
{
ID: "2",
Name: "Test2"
}

I have passed each name to a combo box but I want to update a variable called ID to the corresponding value when the combo box is changed. The end result is so I can trigger a different flow and pass the ID to it based on the name which has been selected. 

Any help or alternative ideas welcome, thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@jcregg ,

I propose you another approach starting with the flow. Please take a look of my flow:

Capture.PNG

This will respond to powerapps with only one string were the records are separated by ";" and the values inside records by ",".

So having this, all we have to do is to create our collection usable in comboBox. My formula is s a little bit scary, but i'm sure that you'll get it:

ClearCollect(builds,AddColumns(Split(returnAnArray.Run().text,";"),"buildid",Left(Result,Find(",",Result)-1),"buildnumber",Right(Result,Len(Result)-Find(",",Result))))

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gabibalaban
Super User
Super User

Hi @jcregg ,

You can use the OnChange property of the comboBox and update the context variable there:

UpdateContext(ID:ComboBox.Selected.ID)

or if you don't need the context variable in other places you can call the second flow refering to the ID using directly: ComboBox.Selected.ID

MySecondFlow(ComboBox.Selected.ID)

Hope it helps !

Thanks for your help @gabibalaban 

I think I may have jumped ahead a step and I am still having some issues getting the collection correct. (You can probably tell I am new to powerapps!)

My Flow is returning two values as below:

Flow Settings

jcregg_0-1606663813355.png

Example Output:

{
"buildid": "1;2",
"buildnumber": "test_1;test_2;
}

I then have a combo box which displays the buildnumbers, which I have done using the Split function. 

I now want to set a variable var_buildID to the corresponding buildid, which I think you have explained above but I am still doing something wrong. 

Thanks for your help. 

@jcregg ,

I propose you another approach starting with the flow. Please take a look of my flow:

Capture.PNG

This will respond to powerapps with only one string were the records are separated by ";" and the values inside records by ",".

So having this, all we have to do is to create our collection usable in comboBox. My formula is s a little bit scary, but i'm sure that you'll get it:

ClearCollect(builds,AddColumns(Split(returnAnArray.Run().text,";"),"buildid",Left(Result,Find(",",Result)-1),"buildnumber",Right(Result,Len(Result)-Find(",",Result))))

View solution in original post

jcregg
Advocate II
Advocate II

@gabibalaban Thanks again - that has solved it.

I updated my flow and then I was initially just entering the source for my combo box as the one column, but I changed it to the whole collection with just the display of one column. Everything then started to work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,124)