cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Updating Excel with PowerApps

Hi there!

I am having some issues when connecting a powerapps to an excel workbook.

Here's the problem:

In my excel I have 2 sheets, the first sheet is called parameters and the second, values. In the first sheet I have some parameters which affect directly to my values in the second sheet, like these: value1 = parameter1 * 0.05

Then, I upload these parameters into a powerapps so I can change the parameters values directly into the PowerApps. After that, I want to plot the values in a Power Bi graph.

The problem starts here: Despite in the workbook the parameter is changed, the values in the second sheet are not unless I open the Excel workbook, so I cannot visualize the values in Power Bi directly without saving manually the Excel Workbook.

I understand that the calculations are done once I have opened the Excel, however I need them to be automatically updated, so I can visualize them in Power Bi without needing to open the Excel.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: Updating Excel with PowerApps

Hi @jha95 

Where is this excel file stored? Is it on some cloud platform? While performing the changes, please make sure the file is not opened anywhere in the edit mode and also the records inside the sheets must be formatted as table.

Please share more info about the implementations so that we might be able to help you better.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm working in local. The Excel file has these two Sheets and the idea is: modify with PowerApps the column value of the parameters and then show the results in Power BI.

ParametersParametersCalculated columns (divide by 2 and multiply by 2)Calculated columns (divide by 2 and multiply by 2)

Visualization in PowerBIVisualization in PowerBI

Changing valueChanging value

Error in calculated columnsError in calculated columns

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi @jha95 

The local static files are not supported for continuous operation. They are just loaded in to the powerapps for data retrieval and no patch action is performed on them. I am not sure how you are able to see the changes when you open the files. 
To perform create/update operations on excel, the file need to be on an online data source.

Hope this helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I also tried to work with the file hosted in OneDrive but it doesn't work...

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jha95 ,

Are the columns in table2 all calculated columns?

If so, I'm afraid it's not supported to display calculated columns of Excel in PowerApps.

I suggest you perform calculations inside PowerApps, not inside Excel.

Here's a similar issue for your reference:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/If-Excel-has-a-formula-data-not-showing/td-p/...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted

Hey,

Yes, this is not supported in PowerApps, but as a workaround you could use Flow to retrieve / update the calculated cells. Flow does get these calculated cells as far as they are properly formatted as a Table.

Build a Flow that gets the data and returns it to PowerApps and then do the same for updates.

Hope it helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,613)