Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rudy_Digital
Helper I
Helper I

Updating a specific data in a column in sharepoint list

Hello everyone,

Really need your help urgently.

Actually i want to update the status column (Single line of text) in my sharepoint list (Candidates).

When i submit the Form 1 i need the status to be "Submitted".

Later in screen 2, upon adding some other informations, when i submit the Form2, i need the status in my SPList to change from "Submitted" to "Admitted".

Below the scenario:

Rudy_Digital_0-1619453538167.png

I tried a few patch lines of code with first filter and so on, nothing worked.

Thanks for helping 🙂

13 REPLIES 13

Nope mate it is not working. my patch statement is completely wrong for sure.

On my Form1 --> i put the default property to be Submitted. When i hit submit Form1 my SPList is updating properly.

On my Form2 --> Patch('Candidates',Defaults('Candidates'),'Status':{Value:"Admitted"}) --> i'm using this formula in the Onselect (Admitted button) and notihng is happening. It should normally change from 'Submitted' to 'Admitted' in the SPList when i hit the 'Admitted' button.

JR-BejeweledOne
Super User
Super User

So for the second patch you are updating.  Defaults(Candidates) is only used when you are creating an item that doesn't exist.

To update only specific columns you can use Patch or UpdateIf.   I like UpdateIf for that,

Add this to your gallery OnSelect, Set(varRecord, ThisItem).  What this does is set varRecord to all the properties of the item, which gives you the ID of the item to update.

Then to submit do this:

UpdateIf('Candidates',
  ID = varRecord.ID,
   {
    }
)

If you like this post, give it a Thumbs up. If it answered your question, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.
JB0007
Helper IV
Helper IV

If you are using a Gallery to select the item that you want to update you can use:

Patch(Candidates, LookUp(Candidates,YourGalleryName.Selected.ID = ID),{Status:"Admitted"})

If you are using a dropdown instead of a gallery you can put the dropdown name instead of the gallery name.

Rudy_Digital
Helper I
Helper I

Finally solved, i used this as formula: 

Patch('Candidates',Form2.LastSubmit,{'Status': "Admitted"})

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,479)