cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveRoach
Frequent Visitor

Updating an SP List from an Office365Users data source

Hi Guys,

I've had a good trawl through similar questions but just can't seem to get this to work...

I would like to be able to pick a user from the Office365Users list and store the user details in a SharePoint List.

I have created a SharePoint List (Test People) with two columns:

• Title: Out of the box as-is
  • Person:
    • Type: Person
    • Required: Yes

I can add records to this in SP and it happily lets me pick Users and add them.

I've gone on to create a Power App based on this list. I'm using the 'Start from data' method connecting to this List. When built, I add the Data Source; Office365Users.

The app consist of 3 screens, but the one I am interested in here is the EditScreen. To configure this:

• Navigate to Person_DataCard/DataCardValue
  • Unlock to change properties.
  • Change the Data/Items field to: Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm : "", top:999})

Now, I know that this will not bring back a full list for a large number of user but our user base is quite small and, anyway, one thing at a time...

When I test this app:

• I can successfully navigate to the Edit screen.
  • I put some random stuff into the Title field.
  • The down-arrow on the Person field successfully presents me with a list of my Users and, when I select one of these, the field is correctly populated.
  • I click the [Tick] button to save the record and this reports no error.
  • When I go to SharePoint to look at the content of the list:

SteveRoach_0-1595468512021.png

I've tried a few of the suggestions on this forum but don't seem to be able to get any of them to work. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Steve

12 REPLIES 12

Hi capoaus75!  

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. 

I'm new to Power Apps and I tried to implement this coding but I'm definitely not understanding how to insert my relevant fields into your coding.  

The only connectors I have in my App are to Office365Users and my Sharepoint List ("Timesheets").

I tried to insert all 3 parts of your coding into the Update property of my DataCard ("Employees whose Timesheets are Grouped for Approval") in which a user can select names from a DropDown ComboBox (DataCardValue74) .  In the Items property of this combobox, I have a filter so that the user can only search for individuals with a specific email address:  Filter(Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm: DataCardValue74.SearchText}), "@_____.com" in Mail).   

From your comments I think I can follow the intent of what the coding does.  You first want to be able to collect all of the selected items and store it in a collection.  Is this a collection you're creating through the coding or should this refer to another sharepoint list?

I also noticed you have azure listed as a connector somewhere.  I'm assuming it's because azure is what Microsoft uses to house what is needed for Power Apps.  Also the 'Docs Approval' table in the Patch formula - I'm assuming this is where I should enter my Sharepoint list?  

If you can help narrow down where my issue is, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for all your help already 🙂

Footprints
Regular Visitor

Hi capoaus75,

I replied earlier and have been doing more research and I still haven't been able to make this work successfully.  I loosely understand what a collection is now.  Would you be able to send screenshots of where the 3 sections of coding is located?

Hi @Footprints sorry for the late reply, but I have been affected by the flooding here in Australia and was without power for a week.
Anyway let me know if you still need help and I will send you more details ASAP. In the meanwhile if you want to have a look at this post it may help you Patch person/group field with multiple selection - Part 1 (capisani.com.au)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,171)