Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aharsh
Helper II
Helper II

Upload Image to SharePoint, Using Shoutouts Template to try and figure it out

Hi All,

I'm trying to learn how to upload an image to a SharePoint list, which will be used across multiple apps.  Each app only requires 1 image per entry and the image will be on a users desktop (so not using the camera).

I was trying to figure it out using the Shoutouts template, but that template obviously has some issues.  That template is using the "Add Picture" control. 

I watched this video from @RezaDorrani , but he stopped just short of making the picture work.  In his comments he acknowledges this and says it's an easy thing to fix, but doesn't elaborate.  Comments in this thread.

In this video Audrie Gordon @audrieg shows how to use the image control with Excel as the data source, but again, stops just short of showing how it actually sends to excel. Also, that video is outdated, the app seems to have changed since that was created, so it was difficult to troubleshoot based on watching it. 

So, finally, my question.  Audrie and Reza make it look like adding a photo to Sharepoint or Excel is simple. I can't find any tutorials to show that it is, they are all showing complex instructions which include Flow to deal with names and links.  Is there a simple, direct way to do this?  If I need to convert my datasource to Excel, that's fine - I can do that. But, I still can't find a good example helping me with that last step - what kind of column settings do I need in my datasource, and what settings do I pass when hitting submit?

Thanks for any insight to help me get started.  My team has just tossed the idea of including photos, but we are developing a series of employee engagement apps and this functionality would really enhance our success!  🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
aharsh
Helper II
Helper II

Hi All, wanted to let you know I figured this out, for my purposes.  I have no idea how it's done in Shoutouts and I guess I'm not doing it the same way.  However, if you're looking for a similar solutions, here's what I did:

I used the Attachments column in SharePoint.  

In the Item control of my Image (in the Gallery) I added the following: First(ThisItem.Attachments).Value

This shows the first image uploaded.

Then, in the Display form I setup to show the image, I added a custom card, inserted an image and added that same code to the Image control: First(ThisItem.Attachments).Value

Works Beautifully 🙂

This is a great video to watch if you're looking to do something similar - he explains a few more ways to use this to show a thumbnail for other file types.

You can add multiple images by nesting a gallery (explained in video - add a gallery, Add: ThisItem.Attachments to the Items control of the gallery and add ThisItem.Value to the image control)

I was then able to show multiple images in a gallery where ever I wanted by creating a gallery and adding this to the item control: NameOfNestedGalleryThatCallsMultipleAttachments.Selected.Attachments and in the Image control of that gallery I added: ThisItem.Value

It's not perfect, somebody could add a different type of attachment. They also can't preview or delete (unless I add more code).  But it works for my purposes.

🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
aharsh
Helper II
Helper II

Hi All, wanted to let you know I figured this out, for my purposes.  I have no idea how it's done in Shoutouts and I guess I'm not doing it the same way.  However, if you're looking for a similar solutions, here's what I did:

I used the Attachments column in SharePoint.  

In the Item control of my Image (in the Gallery) I added the following: First(ThisItem.Attachments).Value

This shows the first image uploaded.

Then, in the Display form I setup to show the image, I added a custom card, inserted an image and added that same code to the Image control: First(ThisItem.Attachments).Value

Works Beautifully 🙂

This is a great video to watch if you're looking to do something similar - he explains a few more ways to use this to show a thumbnail for other file types.

You can add multiple images by nesting a gallery (explained in video - add a gallery, Add: ThisItem.Attachments to the Items control of the gallery and add ThisItem.Value to the image control)

I was then able to show multiple images in a gallery where ever I wanted by creating a gallery and adding this to the item control: NameOfNestedGalleryThatCallsMultipleAttachments.Selected.Attachments and in the Image control of that gallery I added: ThisItem.Value

It's not perfect, somebody could add a different type of attachment. They also can't preview or delete (unless I add more code).  But it works for my purposes.

🙂

View solution in original post

Mark your answer as the solution

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,665)