cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
B4rikuda
Frequent Visitor

Use Collection to Update SharePoint List Column Defaults

I may not be finding what I am looking for because I'm not searching properly but I am wondering if it is possible to have a collection within PowerApps that one can use to update the default choices listed in a SharePoint List column. 

E.g. SharePoint List Column has a default of "Red", "Blue", "Green". I collect these within the PowerApp, remove "Green", and add "Yellow". 

Is it possible to update the SP List Column default to now show "Red", "Blue", "Yellow"? 

If not, how can I get a ListBox or Dropdown to now default to the new list items when the app loads moving forward? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @B4rikuda ,

If I am understanding you correctly, this is not possible, SharePoint is a data source that has some bits allowing user interaction. Any changes to this need to be done in SharePoint. Is this what you were meaning?

Please click and accept as Solution if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Hi @ @ezjensen , please post your query as a new topic as it is unrelated to this one and this helps users find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

You can use a collection for the Items of any drop-down or combo box, in fact it is good practice.

So if your collection colColors had a field ChoiceColor (avoid naming it a "reserved" word like Color), the items for the control would be

Sort(ColColor,ChoiceColor,Ascending)

Please click and accept as Solution if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

@WarrenBelz, Thank you for your reply. I understand the basics of how to use a collection and sorting but it doesn't answer my question of how to modify what is listed in the dropdown or listbox. 

Currently I am pulling the default choices from the SharePoint List into a collection and displaying them into a dropdown box. My question has to do with how can I alter these so that when they are updated (as in the example I gave above), the dropdown and listbox choices change? 

The challenge for me is that the values in the dropdown are NOT a value in a record of a SP List but rather are items of the collection of the default choices of said column. So doing a Patch or Update are meant for records but can this be done to change the default choices for a SP List Column?

following this, as I have a similar question out there.  I have an expense app that allows users to enter in line items, which then patch to a collection, but I am struggling getting that collection to patch back to the SharePoint list columns that are choice fields.

Here is my issue:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Patching-a-Collection-text-value-to-a-drop-d...

Hi @B4rikuda ,

If I am understanding you correctly, this is not possible, SharePoint is a data source that has some bits allowing user interaction. Any changes to this need to be done in SharePoint. Is this what you were meaning?

Hi @ @ezjensen , please post your query as a new topic as it is unrelated to this one and this helps users find it.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

PA Community Call

Power Apps Community Call

Next call is happening on April 21st at 8a PST.

MBAS Carousel

May the fourth be with you, join us online!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (64,929)