cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edmm94
Advocate I
Advocate I

Use Variable for SP List or Not?

I am designing an app that will be using various SharePoint lists as data sources. Some of these lists will not exceed 60-200 items. While others could go as high as 10000. For this reason, I am trying to determine what will be the best path forward from a variable standpoint. Most of this data will sit in galleries. One screen in particular is task tracking which has parent tasks as a gallery and a secondary gallery within it to show child tasks. 

Currently, "Onstart" takes care of loading all my SharePoint lists into variables but once I started playing with my larger data sets, I had to begin working with delegation..... No big deal, fixed some columns that did not support delegation, updated my data sources, yadda yadda yadda. At that point, I started referencing the data source directly in the gallery.items formula instead of a variable representation of the SP list. 

My question is, should I just use delegation across my whole app and reference the data sources directly in my galleries? Or should I try and load what I can into variables "OnStart", while using delegation on a needs basis i.e. when I know the data source will exceed the 2000 hard limit? Or should I "OnStart" load the filtered data sources as variables and use that for my various galleries? 

Any best practices/recommendations are welcome :).

1 REPLY 1
PytByt
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @edmm94 

Just a newbie suggestion from me the super newbie in the community, 

Have you consider to put the large data set (the 10000 records) into a collections when the App start?
You can pull data more than 2000 record if you use iteration. 

Also, i still confuse about this variables you talking about.. #lol , sorry...

Regards,
pytbyt

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,426)