cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanHibbert
Frequent Visitor

User.FullName() is not return consistent information - sometimes Forename Surname sometimes Surname, Forename

I am working with a colleague and we see inconsistent behaviour with User().FullName.
When I’m the last person to update/publish the app - the function User().FullName shows “Dan Hibbert”

When my colleague is the last person to update/publish - the function shows "Hibbert, Dan"

It's like it's showing DisplayName from AAD rather than Fullname.

Has anyone else see inconsistent return values for User().FullName ?

In our office settings, a difference we could see was Display Language for me was English (United Kingdom) and his was English (United States) but this may not be related!

4 REPLIES 4
Phineas
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

How does your organization log-in to your devices/system?

If you drop a text box on the screen and type User().FullName in it what do you and your colleague see when you log in independently?

You should each see your own AD UserName. That same name should appear associated with any log-ins you attempt or changes you initiate, unless you just happen to both be named Dan Hibbert and the naming conventions are an attempt to avoid identity duplication in the environment. 🤔

DanHibbert
Frequent Visitor

We login with username/password 

It's very odd - yes - we have a sample app - when I was the last person to save and publish then (for me) it would show Forename Surname and the same for him.   When he saved and published the app, it changed to Surname, Forename.

Then he observed that he edited the app, it would be in Forename Surname but in view mode would show Surname, Forename.

In AD - Our DisplayName field is in Surname, Forename format and FullName is Forename Surname.  It's like User().FullName is randomly choosing which field to pull out.  

Have tried to change to another AD field as your source content, if one is available to you; another 'type' of name field or the email field? Drop a text box and try those fields to see if their is in odd behavior with that content? At this point is process of elimination.

Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

@DanHibbert 

Use the email field.  It is less prone to variation.  To remove issues with upper or lower case, wrap the value with Lower() or Upper() to achieve consistent results. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,094)