cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

User Logging / Login

Hello!

I have created an app which records arrival and departure time for people. Currently the user selects their name from a list, types in a pin and, if it matches an excel file, clicks 'Arriving' or 'Departing'. This information gets logged in an excel file of attendance. However this method is slow and I wondered whether there was a faster way eg if the users had a fob or pressed on a fingerprint reader.

Does powerapps integrate with these solutions?

Thanks,

Max 

4 REPLIES 4
Power Participant
Power Participant

Hi!

Is the app running on a machine close to the door that is already logged in with a generic user, or do they run it on their own PC or mobile device?

If it's the latter, there is no need to select user. You can access the current user of the app by using the User() function, like User().FullName. That way the app would only need to have two buttons, Arriving and Departing (possibly only one that changes name depending on the current status - has the user arrived at work and logged in already?)

Saving to an Excel file *is* really slow! Is there any chance that you can save the data in an on-premise SQL database, or AzureDB to get a bit better speed?

Hello @BitLord69!

Yes I noticed the terrible speed! I was planning on investigating wriging to a sharepoint table instead, would that be better? Currently no option for on-premimse SQL or azure.

Unfortunately it is the former option - there is a tablet by the entrance. The other thought I had was to use the bar code scanner and provide each user with a plastic barcode keyring - do you think this is viable?

Thank you very much for your help so far!

Max

Power Participant
Power Participant

Sorry, I have no experience with SharePoint, but many do so I'm sure you'lll get an answer about that soon.

Having the app scan a barcode ought to work. I haven't tried scanning yet as I'm waiting for the QR-code support to be released.

If the workers are diligent with the use of the app when coming and going, it should be enough to press a button to scan the barcode, possible one more to submit the data, and let the app logic sort out of they are coming or going.

To gain speed you could probably store the entries in a gallery or collection (no need to show it onscreen if you don't want to) and defer the uploading to the excel file until later on when usage is not so high, either automatically with the use of a timer, or someone has to press a button actively to do so.

You might have to lock down the tablet though so they cannot exit the app, because that would most likely wipe the data. Look into offline mode if it's possible to store the data safely in the tablet to counter that. If that's possible, you can still to the uploading to Excel at a later point.

Just a few thoughts, hope some of them are useful.

J-E

Thank you for your help and thoughts so far, very useful indeed! I am not very familiar with powerapps so will investigate what you have suggested so far.

If anyone else has thoughts regarding the use of sharepoint or third party hardware eg thumb print scanner then please reply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,570)