Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mrrcomp
Helper II
Helper II

User Login

Hi

Is the following possible with powerapps.

I have a "legacy" SQL based application. I want to create an app that will expose some of the info to  several people that are independant contractors  therefore not part of the "team".

I know I can add "guests" to the team but that list could change quite often and would prefer to control the list via the "legacy application"

Secondly I want to filter the info they get based on their login details.

Would appreciate peoples  input if PowerApps is the road to follow 🙂

Regards

MRRComp

6 REPLIES 6
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@Mrrcomp 
#1 You cannot control access to an app using your legacy application, only Power Apps.  Guest access is all you can do since logins are controlled by Office365 profile.

#2 If you are looking for some general inspiration on how to limit access to records based on roles here's an article I wrote on the topic.  https://matthewdevaney.com/designing-a-role-based-user-interface-in-power-apps/

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

@Mrrcomp 

Please accept as solution if I answered your question.

@mdevaney 

Thanks for your reply.  The article was very informative. Based on the article not sure why I can't add a var passwrd and link to an sql table "appuser". 

In any case agaulin thanks I believe ill be spending some time reading either posts of yours

Rgrds

Mrrcomp

@Mrrcomp 
Its because every user of the app needs an Office 365 license which includes Power Apps.  When you open the app it reads your O365 credentials to check licensing/identify/permissions.

You can make a SQL table with username and password, but by doing would be redundant.  Its making the user remember two sets of username/password now.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

summitb
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Try getting information from User entity. I think you can get pretty much all the information form the fields of user entity.

@mdevaney 

Again want to thank you for your link I tried to follow it and create the scenario. I have a few questions but wasn't able to find how to add my comment on your site. So:

1) On the Blank Canvas I don't have a "Title Bar" to add icon onto? 

2) In the Insert Pane I don't see the "Person Icon"?

3) When adding the OnStart function i get an error on the Lookup "The Function 'Lookup' has some Invalid arguments.

Mrrcomp_0-1604044352133.png

4) Instead of a "Person Icon" I placed a simple "Text label " and set Text Property to varLoggedInUser.FullName but if i try to run screen is blank??

Looking forward to your kind help 

Regards

MRRCOMP 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,913)