cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
objectivelyLost
Helper I
Helper I

User-specific layering/positioning glitch?

I have a single user (as far as I know) experiencing some sort of layering or positioning issue in my production app.  He sent me this screen shot:

glitch.PNG

The same screen looks fine for me:

noGlitch.PNG

and here it is prior to clicking on the calendar:

clean.PNG

The above example is a gallery, but the issue is present in other areas of the app, too.  For example, here is a label that is not within a gallery.

labelGlitch.PNG

Positioning in both examples is being handled relative to other items on the screen: ie - Label2 Y position is set to Label1.Y+Label1.Height. 

The user is on a Macbook with Chrome Version 88.0.4324.150 (Official Build) (x86_64) and Javascript V1.7.  He states that the issue is consistent within Chrome, but does not appear when using Safari.  I have tested on my end with the same hardware and Chrome build, however, and have not been able to recreate the issue. Everything looks perfect for me as well as other users (as far as I know).   Any idea what might be going on here?

Update with more context:

This appears to be related to the user's monitor resolution.  He is on a 3440 x 1440 display.  It works fine if the app is launched on the built in Macbook display, but not on the external monitor.  Also, the problem seems to to be specific to controls that are within Containers, and not others.

5 REPLIES 5
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@objectivelyLost 

Have the user try the app in an incognito browser and see if the issue persists.  If so, then there is some other factor going on.  If not, then clear the cache in the regular browser session and see if the problem goes away.  It sounds like there is an older version of the scripts cached on the browser.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Thanks for this Randy.  User says the issue persists in incognito mode, so unfortunately, that's not it.  

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@objectivelyLost 

It was a shot...

The only factor I would then consider is interpretive differences between the platform.  But, now that I think about it, that probably would not be the case as you mentioned that you tried with the exact same hardware and browser and it was fine.

So, there has to be something specific about that computer and its set up.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

Hi @RandyHayes,

Thanks again for the input.  I discovered that the user has a 21:9 aspect monitor running at 3440 x 1440, which seems to be the issue.  Everything works perfectly when the app is launched on the built in Macbook display or when the browser window is scaled to less than full screen, but if the browser is maximized on launch then things start acting up.  It'd be great to know if there's a way of preventing this from happening entirely, but for now at least I know that it's limited to this (relatively rare) set up and there's a simple enough workaround.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@objectivelyLost 

Yes, that is rare, but good discovery!!

I wonder if changing some of the display settings in the app would change anything.  Like lock aspect ratio and things like that.  Just a note, I would save the app as something else to test.  Not sure if you have any calculations in any of your X, Y, Height or Width of any controls, but I find changing those settings in the app can sometimes remove all of those calculations.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (851)