cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
David7
Level: Powered On

Users can open one PowerApp but not another (without extending trial)

We have several applications created in PowerApps that users in our Office 365 organization are able to use.  There is one application, however, that when they attempt to use it, they get the message "Your PowerApps Plan 2 trial has expired".

I am very confused why the same user(s) would be able to open one app, but not another app.  Both apps are created and published  by the same PowerApps developer.  The message does not indicate an issue with the app, but apparently with the user's license.  

The only thing I can think of is that MS is allowing access to apps created before a certain time, since the accessible apps were created a year earlier than the inaccessible app, but I have not seen an indication of that in Microsoft notes.  I will search MS licensing details more for this kind of information.  But at the moment I'm very confused by this message.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David7

Re: Users can open one PowerApp but not another (without extending trial)

Update

I was able to get the app to work by changing the database connection from a gateway, to a direct connection to our SQL server which has a public DNS.  It works, but it is very slow (better than nothing), and I am hoping the speed improves the more it gets used.

So, I am wondering whether this specific caveat regarding database connections is mentioned in any Microsoft documentation, so that we know exactly what our situation is moving forward.

(Tangentially, is there any way to speed up our database connection as well?  A query that should be instantanteous is taking 10+ minutes to load)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
David7

Update

I was able to get the app to work by changing the database connection from a gateway, to a direct connection to our SQL server which has a public DNS.  It works, but it is very slow (better than nothing), and I am hoping the speed improves the more it gets used.

So, I am wondering whether this specific caveat regarding database connections is mentioned in any Microsoft documentation, so that we know exactly what our situation is moving forward.

(Tangentially, is there any way to speed up our database connection as well?  A query that should be instantanteous is taking 10+ minutes to load)

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

David7

I appreciate your taking the time to reply, however I have noticed this link posted elsewhere as a generic reply to various issues.   There are a couple reasons why this article is not helpful:

1) When a 1 second query takes 10 minutes to load, that obviously is not a performance issue.  It clearly is a problem on Microsoft's servers.  (There was a problem on Microsfot's servers at the time, and it was resolved by Microsoft).

2) The article linked is farly technical, whereas PowerApps is marketted toward nontechnical users.  Almost nobody who uses PowerApps has the time or inclination to go through that.

I hope that I do not sound unappreciative, because I do hope that people continue to post suggestions.  However, I get frustrated at the tendancy to trust that MS is doing everything right, and that any problem must be on the part of the user.  In this case, MS did have  a problem on their server.  Likewise, if MS cannot handle queries that people write in PowerApps, MS should do something about it rather than relying on the user to understand articles like that, especially given that PowerApps is marketted toward nontechnical users and has extremely limitted options when it comes to debugging.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,815)