cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
golfnutt8
Helper I
Helper I

Using a Document Libary with Parent Child Relationship

I have a Power App form "Parent" that creates a document library folder. (This uses a custom "Parent Folder" content Type)
Once the folder is created I open the folder and upload "Children" documents for approval. (This uses a custom "Document" content type). 
I want to have three separate forms, one for each workflow listed below.
The problem is that when I click properties to update a file, before I make a choice from the below list, it loads up the same form as I am using for the parent folder I created. Is there a way to use separate forms based on a content type?

golfnutt8_0-1607719840832.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@golfnutt8 

You cannot have different forms based on content type.

You might want to check out and vote on this idea in the idea forum.

The best you can do at this stage is to account for the Content Type in your App and alter the information displayed.  This can be done easily with a different Edit Form for each content type and then setting the Visible property of the Edit form to be visible based on the current content type.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@golfnutt8 

You cannot have different forms based on content type.

You might want to check out and vote on this idea in the idea forum.

The best you can do at this stage is to account for the Content Type in your App and alter the information displayed.  This can be done easily with a different Edit Form for each content type and then setting the Visible property of the Edit form to be visible based on the current content type.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

This is a challenge. If my content type changes based on whether is a folder or a document I would think that I could use this value on a form (hidden) and then based on the content type "Folder" or "Document" that I could then possibly hide fields on the form based on the content type. Would that work?

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@golfnutt8 

Yes...this is the same concept as what I had mentioned in this statement:

This was to say that no, you cannot have a custom form for each content type (in SharePoint customization), but you can have your one customization base its information displayed, collected, etc. on the content type.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,439)