cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DevPower
Frequent Visitor

Using a combo box to search Office365 users

Hi all,

I'm trying to use a combo box so that users can search for other staff in my organisation, and select their name.

I have set the DisplayFields and SearchFields property to ["DiaplyName"] each.

Now if I associate the Items field with the text of a text box, it works exactly as intended. My search in the text gradually limits the items until one remains, searching all users.

Items = Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm: text_title.Text})

But this relies on a separate text box, I want to be able to do this with the Combo Box's own search box.

However, this only searches through a limited list retruend from Office365Users. It seems the combo box Items auto populates with a limited number of users, using a textbox search, searches through all users in the orga, using the combo box's own search, it looks only through the initial limited selection.

There's a couple of threads on this already, but they are all from 2018, and below says that this will be resolved by April 2018. But despite this I still can't solve the issue.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/People-Picker-filter/td-p/102675

Can someone advise if a solution is now available? It's very unprofessional to have 2 boxes, with 2 search fields when only one works and updates the items on another.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EricLott
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You can use this:

Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm:ComboBox1.SearchText}).DisplayName

Where the search term references the combobox itself. (i.e. this would be ComboBox1's Items property).

You'll need to set the combobox's 'Allow searching' property (on the Properties pane on the right) to true 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
EricLott
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

PowerApps has this built in, try adding a People screen like this:

2020-01-28 08_09_31-SQLQuery35.sql - ubpos02_liberty.INVENTORYSCAN (OWENSGROUP_elott (112))_ - Micro.png

---
If this answered your question, please click "Accept Solution". If this helped, please Thumbs Up.

antely that's not ideal. I'm creating a ticket system. The logic is that on the submit form, the user can search for another user in the org who they are logging this on behalf of. I have tried integrating a gallery but it causes a lot of problems, it covers a lot of other fields in the form, it's less dynamic, etc.

It seems like the combo box is perfectly suited to this, is there no other way?

EricLott
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You can use this:

Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm:ComboBox1.SearchText}).DisplayName

Where the search term references the combobox itself. (i.e. this would be ComboBox1's Items property).

You'll need to set the combobox's 'Allow searching' property (on the Properties pane on the right) to true 

View solution in original post

Seems to have done it. Nice one Eric, excellent help.

ewfefwef
Advocate I
Advocate I

Combo box solution.

If(!IsBlank(Trim(Combo.SearchText)), Sort(Filter(Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm: Trim(Combo.SearchText), top: 15}),AccountEnabled),DisplayName,Descending))

Properties 

ewfefwef_0-1618465326023.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (898)