cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laela
Frequent Visitor

Using a service account to access Active Directory instead of the logged in user's credentials

Hi, 

I have a canvas app that has a connection to Active Directory (AD).

I want admin users to be able to edit employee information in AD using the app. 

However, I do not want to give admin permissions for AD to all the users who would need to access the AD data and have to constantly manage those permissions. 

Would it be possible for users to use the power app but for the power app to only use the service account's credentials for the AD connection?

If this is not possible, could does anyone have an idea of a work-around for this?

Kind regards, 

K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nogueira1306
Super User
Super User

What I use when I need to give different acess to users are these 3 options:

1. Insert the users manually. I check if User().Email = "email@company.com" and if yes, let them edit

2. Create a SP List and insert the users there. If the user is on the list, they can edit

3. Create an Office365 group. Check if user is on that Group, if yes, let them edit.

If you need additional help please tag me in your reply and please like my reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, pleased mark it as a solution ✔️!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Nogueira

Check my LinkedIn!

Check my User Group (pt-PT)!

Last Post on Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Nogueira1306
Super User
Super User

What I use when I need to give different acess to users are these 3 options:

1. Insert the users manually. I check if User().Email = "email@company.com" and if yes, let them edit

2. Create a SP List and insert the users there. If the user is on the list, they can edit

3. Create an Office365 group. Check if user is on that Group, if yes, let them edit.

If you need additional help please tag me in your reply and please like my reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, pleased mark it as a solution ✔️!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Nogueira

Check my LinkedIn!

Check my User Group (pt-PT)!

Last Post on Community

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Government Carousel

New forum: GCC, GCCH, DoD - Federal App Makers (FAM)

In response to the unique and evolving requirements of the United States public sector, Microsoft has created Power Apps US Government.

Users online (4,599)