cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
santiact

Validate Excel headers before upload to Blob

Hi all,

I am new to PowerApps and I am trying to figure out the best way to create an app that answers the following business problem:

We have to upload a set of Excel files to an Azure Blob storage that will be transferred to a SQL database. For that end, we would need to validate the headers from the Excel files before uploading them to the Blob storage, or,  in any case, be able to upload the files, validate them and have the ability to delete them if they are not compliant.

The idea would be to check each of the column headers against a template (another Excel file maybe?) with the correct headers, and prompt the user a message if the headers are not correct (and, if possible, which ones are wrong or missing). Keep in mind that we would be trying to upload several files, I was thinking of using some kind of dropdown that would allow the user to select which file they are uploading and using that selection for referencing which template should be used for comparison.

As an example:

Template Headers:

Column1 | Column2 | Column3 | Column4

Uploaded Excel Headers:

Column1 | WrongColumn2 | Column4

Message the user would receive:

"Please review the following Columns:

- Column2: wrong column name

- Column3: missing column

Any help is welcomed!

Best,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StevenRichards
Helper II
Helper II

I don't think there's a way just using PowerApps. I imagine your solution will involve power automate to read the excel files and pass it back:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Is-there-any-way-to-get-the-column-headers-from-E...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StevenRichards
Helper II
Helper II

I don't think there's a way just using PowerApps. I imagine your solution will involve power automate to read the excel files and pass it back:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Is-there-any-way-to-get-the-column-headers-from-E...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (2,349)