cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

Validate current address using Power Automate

I'm building a model driven app which links a person record to multiple contact address records (1:N)

However there should only ever be one current address for each person, which is a Yes/No choice field on the Contact record

I tried using business rules to enforce this validation but it doesn't seem flexible enough to do this, is it possible to use Power Automate or something else to enforce this kind of validation?

It needs to include validation for both changes made from the form and via Excel import

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, any help is appreciated

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

hi @Spikyface what does your data looks like? you have a person record which have a current address - i assume that these do not allow duplicate current addresses. Are you then try to see from the other datasources whether mor e than one address exists for a person? 

Hi @rubin_boer 

It's even simpler than that, I only want the user to be able to select a single address as current for a person

The person record has person id, title, forename, surname, membership cost

The contact record has a lookup to the person record Address Line 1, Address Line 2, Town, Zip code and a yes/no field for current address

At the moment, there's nothing stopping a user from creating 3 contact records which are related to the same person and marking the current address field as Yes for all of them (which makes no sense, how can a person have 3 current addresses?!)

Super User
Super User

hi @Spikyface ok lets see if i get you. i assume the lookup is done by person id. based on your last paragraph your problem is as such:

Button OnSelect

ClearCollect(_Person,{person_id:0 ,title: "Mr", forename: "Jack", surname:"Black", membership_cost: 50});

rubin_boer_0-1614081842927.png

The user can then add contact, but the problem is they can add it more than once and the yes representing the current address. they can add many

rubin_boer_1-1614081947929.png

on the contained will button a check is added to see if the user can add an enntry, iof theuser already have a current address they wont be allowed to add a record.

Set(_CanUpdate,If(CountRows(Filter(_Contact,And(person_id=0,CurrentAddress = "yes")))=0,true,false));

If(_CanUpdate, Collect(_Contact,{person_id: 0, AddressLine1:"Here" , AddressLine2: "There", Town: "Some Town", ZipCode: 5555, CurrentAddress: "yes"}));

I hope that help

Helper I
Helper I

@rubin_boer would that work even on a model driven app?

I've not used any validation like that so far, I thought that kind of functionality was limited to canvas apps

Super User
Super User

hi @Spikyface  yes it will

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (64,611)