cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonathanO
Level: Powered On

Variable Definition Screen: Contributes type

I internmittently get an error in PowerApps:

The types of the specified context variables are incompatible with the types specified elsewhere.

I know that this error happens when the auto-merge algorithm for data types cannot reconcile the usage/definitions of a variable.  I have a Context variable called Response that is used to store the response from a custom connector call (logic app).

Response contains a property called Result (Response.result) which has an error message that is returned from LogicApps if there was a error.

I use the Response.result in a text lablel element to show the error to the user.  I am currently getting the "specified context variables are incompatible..." error for the Response variable.  When I look at the Variable definition screen, I see this:

PowerApps_Min.PNG

I assume that "Contributes type" means that this is the type that each definition is attempting to make the variable.  For the definitions where Contributes type is _Min, I am doing this:

UpdateContext({Response:Blank()})

I do this when the user navigates away from the screen.

My questions:

1. What does "_Min" mean?
  2. It looks like "Error" is a type of variable?  Is that true?  I don't see it mentioned on the variable documentation.
  3. If Error is a type of variable, what is the best way to clear it, null it, blank it, empty it, etc so that there is no type conflict?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Variable Definition Screen: Contributes type

Hi @jonathanO,

The Definition panel for the Variables should be the place where the variable has been used for.

And the Contributes type should mean the actual type that the place would generate for this variable.

So for the _Min type, it is recommended to check the custom connector side for the definition.

By the way, there should be Responses pre-defined within the OpenAPI file, which I think the type here should be passed from there.

Error should be treated as a type of the variable defined.

You might need to define the response part for your custom connector, and then create a collection to hold the response data.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/create-update-collection

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Coming Soon: T-Shirt Design Contest

Keep your eyes open for our upcoming T-shirt design contest!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,633)