Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danny2810
Helper I
Helper I

Variables with formulas

Hello everybody,

I have a question. I have already created a few apps for our company. These apps contain a wide variety of formulas. Is it possible to pack a large formula into a variable and collect it centrally. I want to collect the formulas in one place and only call them up when I really need them. This is then clearer in the entire app. Is this possible? How do you do it so that you keep track of things?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

greetings from germany

Danny

8 REPLIES 8
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

This isn't exactly the same thing, but the workaround I would suggest is to build the formulas into a component in a component library.  Setup inputs and one or more output properties.  Then put all the logic into the component.  If you add the component to an app you can then update the logic in the component library and push out changes as long as you don't change the input and output properties.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hello Pstork1,

how do you mean that exactly? 

In a component you can only create objects that are repeated over and over on every screen (for example a header or a picture).

greetings from germany

Danny

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Normally, components are used to create controls, like a menu, that can be used in multiple apps.  But to do that they have both input and output custom properties.  So what I am suggesting is that you create a custom component in a component library that doesn't actually have any visible controls (or maybe just a label so you can keep track of it).  Then create input properties for the values that need to be used to calculate the variable and an output property to report the value back out.  Then inside the component set a variable formula that uses the input properties to calculate the value.  report that value as the output property.  Now that the logic is encapsulated you can add the component to the app, set the input values, and use the output value.  If you need to change the formula you can edit the original component in the library and publish an update.

I'm standing on the hose right now. I have a save button in my app.

In my app I have a save button and a yes / false field. Currently is as follows:

If the Yes / No field is set to "false", Formula 1 expires. If it says "Yes", Formula 2 expires. These formulas are all stored behind the save button.

But my intention is the following:

If the field is on "false", then call the formula 1 from the central memory or from the variable. If the field is set to "yes", then call formula 2 from the central memory or from the variable.

So I have all formulas in one place and don't have to search through the whole app, where the same formula may be stored again.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Here's a simple example

Custom component properties

image.png

Component with a single label

image.png

Component added to app

image.png

Each textbox provides one of the input properties for the component and the Total label reports the Output of the component.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

So I'm suggesting you set the Yes/No as an input property (and any other values you need for calculation).  Then put the formulas in the component.  If the input is Yes, use formula 1, if no then formula 2.  Output of the formula is in output property.

Of course this all depends on what the formulas do.  If they do complex patches or something then it probably won't work.  If they generate some value or values then they will.

I will give you an example:

Picture 1Picture 1

Picture 2Picture 2

Picture 3Picture 3

Picture 4Picture 4

Picture 5Picture 5

Picture 6Picture 6

Picture 1 to picture 6 is a big formula behind the save button.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Yes, it could be done.  But I'm not sure its feasible due to the number of input values required to do the work.  I'm not sure there is currently a better way to do what you are doing.  I think you may be well beyond what should be tried using a no-code approach.  Manipulating this many moving parts at one time should really be done with a formal compiled program rather than Power Apps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,569)