Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephenkln
Resolver I
Resolver I

Viewing BLOB as Image or Document in PowerApps

Hi all,

I'm trying to add a feature in my app that allows the user to do two things. 

1) attach a file and save as BLOB in on premise sql database (finished this part)

2) view that blob as an img or pdf in powerapps (need help)

Context-- so the app I've built is basically a user friendly gui to add employee data to an on prem sql dB. The client requested functionality to upload scanned copies of employee records via the app and also view uploaded docs based on the selected employee. I'm at a loss on how to actually return a BLOB from the dB, back to the app as an image or pdf so the user can view it.

To add the image/doc to the dB as a Blob I'm using Shane Young's method here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa-pYEkLH-U but with a slight change in that instead of using the AzureBlobStorage.CreateFile function, I'm simply using Patch to insert a new record into the dB with the file contents as varbinary. Each Blob is also related to the relevant employee via foreign key. 

Any ideas on how I would then fetch the relevant blob back from the dB and display it as an image or pdf?

Should I add a new column to my file table containing the path to the file and somehow use that?

Are we looking at some sort of Flow to return the Blob?

Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
RossB
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello,

I found the following post: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Blob-to-Image-in-PowerApps/m-p/388613#, not sure if this will help you out at all, but let me know.  I'll let you know if I find anything else. 

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,201)