cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danbert1973
Helper I
Helper I

WAV Audio files in Powerapps

I have a SharePoint library which stores voicemail files (in WAV format), which I'd like my users to be able to play back from within Powerapps.  It's a much more reliable system of picking up group voicemails than sending emails to a group of people.

The problem I have is that when trying to launch the audio file, it navigates to the source SharePoint library and opens the audio file in Edge, which cannot natively play WAV files.

In my testing, the only platform that plays WAV files is using Power Apps on an iPhone, or via the Windows Power Apps app.  Users will be primarily accessing the app via the Power Apps web part on a SharePoint page, which obviously uses Edge.

So my questions are:

1 - is it possible for Edge to play WAV files at all?

2 - is there any way that WAV files can easily be converted to mp3 via Power Automate?

3 - is it possible to configure Power Apps to force the media files to play in Groove Music or Windows Media Player?

Many thanks for any help or ideas offered.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
C-Papa
Super User
Super User

Hi, i have this working but rather than saving in SharePoint i save the files in stream, i then user the stream connector to show the videos in PA. Another alternative, an answer to your point 3, you can get SharePoint to open documents in client application by default. to do this go to:

• Site settings
  • Site Collection Administration

Then activate:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
C-Papa
Super User
Super User

Hi, i have this working but rather than saving in SharePoint i save the files in stream, i then user the stream connector to show the videos in PA. Another alternative, an answer to your point 3, you can get SharePoint to open documents in client application by default. to do this go to:

• Site settings
  • Site Collection Administration

Then activate:

View solution in original post

Hi @C-Papa 

Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.

Stream is a no go as these are audio only files and we are phasing out the use of this service anyway.  Re: your second suggestion, that is a great shout and means that I can achieve what I want without the use of Powerapps, and can just use the native SharePoint interface.  I had originally tried this whole process with a custom list and having the audio files as attachments, but those attachments try to open in Edge like the below, even with the 'Open Documents in Client Applications as Default' option set at the Site Collection level.

danbert1973_1-1621608928957.png

If I save the WAV attachments only in a document library instead of a custom list, then that setting does apply and the files will play - still within Edge but in a different player as below:

danbert1973_0-1621608861695.png

Sadly, Powerapps will not play the files, even if the source WAV files are in a document library (unless on an iPhone), but it has got me round my issue for now.

Thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,372)