cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdHansberry Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Waiting for a Gallery reset to finish?

I have a gallery where a Reset is triggered by a toggle button that will show/hide certain records. I want a "Processing" dialog to show up while the reset happens. I added this to the "OnChange" of the toggle, but it does nothing visually.

UpdateContext({varShowProcessing: true});
Reset(galItemSelection);
UpdateContext({varShowProcessing: false})

What I am pretty sure is happening is the variable is set to true, the reset is triggered, and immediately the variable is set back to false.

Is there a way to wait for the reset to finish?

I've added a timer, but that is a bad solution. Sometimes the reset takes a second or so, and other times 5+ seconds depending on the data, connection, etc, and it looks silly for the "Processing...." dialog to be there blocking the user when the data has obviously refreshed, and just as silly to have the dialog disappear and the refreshing is still happening.

6 REPLIES 6
GarethPrisk Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Re: Waiting for a Gallery reset to finish?

Perhaps try to leverage the LoadingSpinner property of the screen? Meaning, you can navigate the user away from the screen with the gallery, initiate a Reset, and then navigate back.
Full disclosure, I haven't been impressed with the consistency of LoadingSpinner, especially if your Gallery has any lookups, or columns added. However, it might give a reliable mechanism to only show the user the Gallery once it has loaded.
EdHansberry Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I'm not on the right computer to test this, but this gallery doesn't do a loading spinner when the gallery is reset. It might or might not get the marching ants. It just seems to hang for a few seconds when the user flips the toggle, which actually changes the data called in the Items property. It is an IF statement. If tglShowArchivedItems is on, then it pulls all records. If off, then it add a FILTER() statement.

So the toggle isn't really refreshing the gallery so much as changing a context variable on that page which changes what the gallery is actually showing. Maybe that is why there is no spinner.

Also open to better ways of doing what I'm doing.

WarrenBelz Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @EdHansberry ,

@GarethPrisk is totally on the right track.

You can do a loading spinner on anything - it does not have to be on screen change.

Just put a full screen semi-transparent rectangle (RGBA 230, 230, 230, 0.5 is close) and group with the attached spinner.

Make them visible on vSpin (or whatever) and set/unset this at start/end of code.

Spin-1s-200px.gif

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

EdHansberry Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I've made changes to the LoadingSpinner property and the related .Color property and nothing is happening. I don't think a refresh of the Gallery screen is trappable. Loading yes, but not just changing what is show by changing the FILTER() function in the Items property. 😐

I've looked through several threads in this forum and watched 2 youtube videos. Everything is about loading the gallery when the screen changes, not when the gallery is re-reading data. The marching ants are working across the top, but that is too hidden to the average user, and LoadingSpinner doesn't recognize that aspect that I can tell.

WarrenBelz Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @EdHansberry ,

You got me thinking on this and I have a bit of as sneaky workaround that I think does the job.

Do a new blank screen with the background RGBA( 230, 230, 230, 0.5) and put the spinner in the middle.

Navigate to this screen at the start of the code with Transition.Fade and then back again to your screen with the same transition.

Screen fades to spinner and then fades in again at code end.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

EdHansberry Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Unfortunately that doesn't really do it. I see what you are doing but that is an entirely different screen. Power Apps clearly knows when data is being refreshed because the marching ants go across the top, but there is, AFAIK, no way to have a more visible spinner or even a dialog box blocking interaction until the gallery refreshes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,316)