cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paNewby
Helper III
Helper III

What Sharepoint data source should I use?

Our full set of data is saved on a MS Access Back End that could easily be linked to an SQL Azure table on Sharepoint but I have been told that MS are dropping support for SQL Azure table connections to MS Access. 

I need to create a datasource that only contains a small subset of the data from our back end that can be linked to our MS Access based system. The plan is to run a timer event every now on MS Access that will keep the data sychronized and I am seeking advice as to which is the best method of storing the data. I have tried a SharePoint list and although my query will update the linked table, the actual synchronization is anything but seamless after that.

What data source should I link to?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @paNewby,

I am not quite understand your scenario, but for SQL Azure Table, PowerApps have the SQL Server connection available to connect it directly:

Connect from Microsoft PowerApps to SQL Server

Adding more reference:

Connections list for Microsoft PowerApps

For connecting Azure SQL Server Database with SharePoint online, please check:

Office 365 SharePoint Online BCS with Azure SQL Server Database

Make an External List from a SQL Azure table with Business Connectivity Services and Secure Store

If you have any further questions, or if I have any misunderstanding, please post back to let me know.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
paNewby
Helper III
Helper III

I have been told that SharePoint lists are not a good option but I can continue to use SQL Azure tables on SharePoint. I have already created one and linked to it but the only way I know how to modify the table structure is from MS Access, but that option is being depreciated. So my question has now evolved to "How do I edit SQL Table structures in SharePoint?"

Hi @paNewby,

I am not quite understand your scenario, but for SQL Azure Table, PowerApps have the SQL Server connection available to connect it directly:

Connect from Microsoft PowerApps to SQL Server

Adding more reference:

Connections list for Microsoft PowerApps

For connecting Azure SQL Server Database with SharePoint online, please check:

Office 365 SharePoint Online BCS with Azure SQL Server Database

Make an External List from a SQL Azure table with Business Connectivity Services and Secure Store

If you have any further questions, or if I have any misunderstanding, please post back to let me know.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,651)