cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tweb
Regular Visitor

What causes a 'Table Style' error?

I have been losing a connection because of a Table Style problem:

Failure reason: Requested value 'Table Style 1' was not found.

This is in a Power App that connects to an Excel table.  I'm doing something to lose the connection when I edit my workbook, but I don't know what I'm doing.  I am not deliberately modifying any Table Styles.  

(I'm reposting from my earlier post "Losing connection from Power App to Excel Table" in the hope that the improved subject line brings clarity to my request and catches the attention of someone who has a suggestion).  

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tweb ,

Manually modifying the table in Excel is not a good practice when you are using the table as data source in Power Apps. Please refer to below thread and try the solution to see if it helps:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Failure-to-Read-Excel-Content/td-p/283800

In short words:

1\ copy the data from your Excel tablem.

2\ re-create a new Excel file.

3\ add same column names as that in your previous Excel table.

4\ paste the copied data there, then format the data as a new Table.

5\ Within your app, create a new connection to the new created Excel table, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Thanks for your reply @v-jefferni!

When you say "manually modifying the table in Excel is not a good practice..." do you mean

1. modifying the table structure by doing things like renaming or adding columns, or
  2. modifying the content of individual cells (such as updating someone's phone number), including adding additional records/rows to the bottom of the table, or 
  3. are both of these kinds of modification a bad idea?

The reason I ask is because my intent was to use the Excel file as the primary place where we update the data (since it is easy to do data validation there), but have the Power App available to quickly reference the table or make minor edits by phone when traveling.  If this sort of use is a bad idea, I'll probably just skip the Power App and have our admin just use the Excel file.  

Thanks!

v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tweb ,

If you would like to use Excel tables as data sources, even open the Excel worksheet is not a good choice when app is being used, not to say modify structure or contents. You could use Excel table as data source, but the premise is that once you start using Power Apps to update/edit the table, do not manually modify any content in Excel. 

If you or others would like to view contents in the table, copy the worksheet then you could do anything in it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,871)