cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samuelJ
Level 8

What does "Region" really mean in PowerApps?

Hello,

I have an app that seems to be experiencing many more bugs over seas than it does by anyone using it in the U.S.  I came across this article: PowerApps Regions Link.

Can someone explain to me in a more simplified way, what exactly the "Region" field in PowerApps does?  As I mentioned before, users is Asia seem to experience more connection bugs, than users in the US.  Some overseas users experience no bugs though.  Would this "Region", field impact our app in any way if the Region field is set to "United States"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: What does "Region" really mean in PowerApps?

Hi @samuelJ

An environment's region specifies the data centre that PowerApps uses. These regions/data centres are located in different geographic locations in the world, including the US, UK, Asia, Australia etc.

When we publish an app, PowerApps saves it to the data centre that corresponds to the region. It'll also host any CDS databases, or data-connection end points in that data centre as well.

Let's say that your environment is set to US. When a user in Asia runs your app, the user would first need to connect to a US data centre to load the app. It would then need to connect to US data centres to retrieve any data that the app uses (because this is where the data connectors are hosted). This greater geographic distance might increase the chances of timeouts, and can also increase data transfer times, especially when loading large amounts of data. This might explain why some users in Asia experience more connection problems.

Does that clarify things a little?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Hi @samuelJ

An environment's region specifies the data centre that PowerApps uses. These regions/data centres are located in different geographic locations in the world, including the US, UK, Asia, Australia etc.

When we publish an app, PowerApps saves it to the data centre that corresponds to the region. It'll also host any CDS databases, or data-connection end points in that data centre as well.

Let's say that your environment is set to US. When a user in Asia runs your app, the user would first need to connect to a US data centre to load the app. It would then need to connect to US data centres to retrieve any data that the app uses (because this is where the data connectors are hosted). This greater geographic distance might increase the chances of timeouts, and can also increase data transfer times, especially when loading large amounts of data. This might explain why some users in Asia experience more connection problems.

Does that clarify things a little?

View solution in original post

samuelJ
Level 8

@timlThanks for your reply!  Yesterday I migrated the app to a new region.  The users reported significantly less problems.  Maybe its just me, but that feature needs to be more well knowSmiley LOL

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,510)