cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Future_Vision
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

What is the best strategy for building a control panel for properties?

I started down the path of building a control panel for all of the properties in my app. Here is a rough of it. 

Future_Vision_0-1627072809671.png

While I think this is useful to some degree it is tedious having to set up all of the properties with the values found here. I know. I could set it up on a single control and then copy and paste but I still need to do a bunch of renaming etc... What would be great is to be able to add controls that have 'placeholders' for these values. That way I can simply open this screen(or flyout panel) and make tweaks to the app as needed. Is there a strategy for doing thing?

4 REPLIES 4
StalinPonnusamy
Community Champion
Community Champion

My 2 cents. This feature may be in the future but from my experience creating a responsive screen itself took a long time to build it. And later we decided not worth doing those since we know what kind of device employee are using.

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Future_Vision 

Yes, you could do this with a component.  Make your component generic.  Use data tables for all of the sections or for all of the value.  Utilize galleries in the component to display information.  Have an output property on your component that has a record or table of all of the properties.  Your app then would reference the output property to get its property value.

The struggle is usually with altering all of the controls in the app to reference the properties from the component.  But, a trick is that you can set up a page with one of each control type that you will use.  Change the properties on all the controls to reflect to the component.  Then, when you want to insert a new control (a label for example) instead you would need to go to that screen and copy the control and then paste it into your usage screen.  A bit of a pain, but easier than altering all the properties.

Extra $0.02 ... now you have $0.04  😃

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!
Future_Vision
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@RandyHayes 
That is sort of what I do now. I create a dropdown, for example, and set all of the properties up on that one component referencing that screen I posted. Then just copy and paste the component and make any appropriate name and property changes.  

I was looking at maybe building a template that changes the default settings of the controls similar to what is explained here (at a very high level) and here at a more detailed level.

Or maybe going this route although this seems more app editing oriented?

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/source-code-files-for-canvas-apps/

Future_Vision
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@RandyHayes 
Still thinking this through but this could be an option. Thoughts?

Update the default values in the Themes.json file like I did here for the button. I probably need to do a little thinking around the naming convention but this works for now.

Future_Vision_0-1627335369114.png

Then I build an component called 'sample_1' or 'sampletest' or  'sampleSample' or anything other than 'sample' to prevent naming collisions because I'm going to want to rename my instance 'sample' in this case.

Then in my component I have an output property of BTNColor. in my example below I used a text input but it could be any control capable of passing a color value

Future_Vision_1-1627335679273.png 

Future_Vision_2-1627335715883.png

Future_Vision_3-1627336074330.png

Future_Vision_4-1627336142268.png

Just need to think through how to set up the 'panels' for each control in the component.

Is it a single table with options for each type of property? At least for those controls that are not direct text input?

AND figure out the best way to save those settings since it all goes away if I close/refresh the app. 

I'm guessing this has to be saved to its own database. Maybe even include a unique identifier for the app so this the same datasource can be used for other app settings? Not really sure how to structure this yet. I'd gladly welcome some input.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,908)