cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnjohn123
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

What will happen if the connection's username has its password expired or the user got removed

I have created the following power apps:-

1) For customizing sharepoint list forms

2) For building Canvas which connect to a sharepoint list and show its data.

now for the above i always use the office 365 admin, but this user might face these issues in the future:-

1) its password will get expired.

2) the username might be changed/removed

so what will happen to the connections inside the PowerApp if any of the above happen? will the connection stop working? and if the answer is Yes, then how i can overcome this problem that might occur by time? For example, atleast for the password we have the password expires each 3 months, and there might be a time where the password is expired without been directly renewed, so will the connection stop working from the time the password is expired till it is renewed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-albai-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @johnjohn123 ,

Some connection types are shareable, but SharePoint Online connection requires each user to bring their own connection.

In brief, even though you configured the connection to a SharePoint Online list using your credential, the app will still use the end-user permissions to access the data while they are running the app, the connection will be executed in the context of the logged in user.

So for your question:

1. Password expires will not affect end uses use your app. I made a test on my side, after changing the app owner’s password(who created the connection), and play the app using another account, everything works fine.

2. Rename/ delete owner account will not affect end uses use the app. Based on my test, if you rename/delete the owner of the app, end user still can use this app(if you delete the owner account, the app only works for the users who have been shared with).

References:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Automatic-populate-new-changed-user-password-to...

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Change-password-to-SharePoint-connector/td-p...

Best Regards,

Allen

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-albai-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @johnjohn123 ,

Some connection types are shareable, but SharePoint Online connection requires each user to bring their own connection.

In brief, even though you configured the connection to a SharePoint Online list using your credential, the app will still use the end-user permissions to access the data while they are running the app, the connection will be executed in the context of the logged in user.

So for your question:

1. Password expires will not affect end uses use your app. I made a test on my side, after changing the app owner’s password(who created the connection), and play the app using another account, everything works fine.

2. Rename/ delete owner account will not affect end uses use the app. Based on my test, if you rename/delete the owner of the app, end user still can use this app(if you delete the owner account, the app only works for the users who have been shared with).

References:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Automatic-populate-new-changed-user-password-to...

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Change-password-to-SharePoint-connector/td-p...

Best Regards,

Allen

View solution in original post

@v-albai-msftSo can i conclude that the connection i use when creating the power app will only be used for creating/editing the power app.. while on run time the power app will use the user's credential to access the data?

Second question, now let say that the user who created the power app no longer exists, then how we can define another user to take control over the app and be able to edit it? is this possible? for example if we created another sharepoint admin or another office 365 admin, then can these accounts access and edit all the current power apps?

Hi @johnjohn123 ,

1. Yes, this is true for Sp connection. You can have a simple test, for example, userA create an App, and share this app to userB, the datasource is listA. If userB does not have permission to listA, he will not able to see data inside the app.  

2. I have done a test before about this scenario, when the owner of app is deleted, other people still can access this app. Whether they can edit the app depends on if they have owner permission to the app.

Before deleting this owner, you should make sure you have shared this app to others with Co-owner permission, otherwise, other people can only access this app but cannot edit this app itself, like adding controls(they can still submit data to SP list inside the app).

v-albai-msft_0-1614767847655.png

Best regards,

Allen

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (37,368)