cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which one is best for PowerApps application?

Team,

Kindly share the below information for my consideration.

-- Which backend is best for PowerApps application? It's SharePoint list or Teradata

-- Which reporting tool is best? Tableau or Power BI or some else

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

For your first question, I think the SharePoint list would be a better choice for you.

Currently, within PowerApps, the Teradata connector is not a delegable data source. So you could not delegate the data process from your app to your Teradata table, instead, you could only, process data locally within your app.

In default, you could only process 500 records locally in an app. You could change the "Data row limits for Non-delegable queries" option to maximum value -- 2000, then you could process 2000 records in your app locally.

With SP List, you could apply a delegale formula to your SP List data source, then it could delegate the data process from your app to your SP List itself, to improve your app's performance.

More details about Delegation in PowerApps, please check the follownig article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-overview

For your second question, I think Power BI would be a better choice for you. Power BI report has a good integration with PowerApps canvas app. You could display Power BI report within a canvas app using Power BI Tile control. You could also consider embed an canvas app into a Power BI report using "PowerApps Custom Visual".

In addition, Power BI could connect to more abundant data sources (e.g. Azure Blob Storage, Github, ... etc) than Tableau.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

From my experience the best backend is Azure SQL.  It offers incredible flexibility.  You can connect from almost any app.  I can connect to Azure Function Apps, Excel, Power BI.  You don't need any special licenses.  You can use Views and Stored Procedures.  It is cheap. 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Mogul. If you know the best reporting tool, please share it.

If anyone have any idea aboyt my question, please share it.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I love using SharePoint Online as it offers plenty of facilities :

- user friendly interface for administrative purposes for example

- leverages people picker and sharepoint security

- easy to maintain and evolve platform

- export and flow integrated capabilities

Same appreciations for PowerBI 🙂

Regards

Highlighted

I have a lot of special requirements for reports.   I have to provide pivot tables, graphs and tables.  I have to provide a PDF.  Some reports go to clients and some are internal.  The only solution I was able to come up with is using Excel Desktop and connecting to SQL DB and using VBA to create report.  I also FTP a JSON file to webserver that updates webpage on key metrics.  I use Task Manager to trigger creating/sending report.  I have a lot of experience with VBA.  

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

For your first question, I think the SharePoint list would be a better choice for you.

Currently, within PowerApps, the Teradata connector is not a delegable data source. So you could not delegate the data process from your app to your Teradata table, instead, you could only, process data locally within your app.

In default, you could only process 500 records locally in an app. You could change the "Data row limits for Non-delegable queries" option to maximum value -- 2000, then you could process 2000 records in your app locally.

With SP List, you could apply a delegale formula to your SP List data source, then it could delegate the data process from your app to your SP List itself, to improve your app's performance.

More details about Delegation in PowerApps, please check the follownig article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-overview

For your second question, I think Power BI would be a better choice for you. Power BI report has a good integration with PowerApps canvas app. You could display Power BI report within a canvas app using Power BI Tile control. You could also consider embed an canvas app into a Power BI report using "PowerApps Custom Visual".

In addition, Power BI could connect to more abundant data sources (e.g. Azure Blob Storage, Github, ... etc) than Tableau.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the delagation process details which is supported by SharePoint. This information is useful for me.

Highlighted

Hi @Anonymous ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved your problem, please consider go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" to identify this thread has been solved.

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (13,206)