cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Which permission gives the user the least amount of access while still being to use the form properly?

I need to share a form and it's related sharepoint lists with users so that they can use a form I've built. 

When giving them access to the Sharepoint list, which of these permissions would be the most appropriate? I don't want them to be using the Sharepoint site at all, the only reason they get access is so that they can use the form. Would "Read" be better than "Practice Team Site Visitors [Read]"?

which option.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Which permission gives the user the least amount of access while still being to use the form properly?

Hi @rsparks ,

Do you want to share only the SP List permission to your end users rather than the whole SP Site?

If you want your end users to use your custom form to submit data into your SP List, you must assign Edit permission of your SP List to these users.

If you just want to share only the SP List permission to your end users rather than the whole SP Site permission, you could share the Edit permission of your SP List to your end users as unique permission.

More details about assigning a unique permission in SP List, please check the following article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/customize-permissions-for-a-sharepoint-list-or-library-02d7...

On your side, you need to go to your SP List settings-> "Permissions for this list", then click "Stop Inheriting Permissions" option as below:5.JPG

then click "Grant Permisson"option as below:6.JPG

After that, your end users would only have unique permission to the SP List rather than the whole SP Site.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Re: Which permission gives the user the least amount of access while still being to use the form properly?

What is the difference between contribute and edit?

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

And with unique permissions turned on, can I give them edit access to lists that will receive data, and read access to lists they're only using as a reference? 

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rsparks ,

More details about the difference between Distribute permission and Edit permission of SP List, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/understanding-permission-levels#default-permission-level...

If you want to give them edit access to lists that will receive data, and read access to lists they're only using as a reference, I afraid that that there is no way to achieve your needs in SharePoint currently. You could only assign one permission of SP list to your end users.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

So are the permissions only applied across the entire site? Or the permissions can be different for each list?

Assuming the user isn't notified that they have access to a site, is it likely they'll be able to locate the site to even make changes?

The main reason I want to have their access as restricted as possible is so that they don't go and edit entries on the lists. 

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rsparks ,

The Unique permission to SP list I mentioned above can be different for each list. On your side, you just need to copy the SP List link to your end users, then these users could access your SP List through this link, but they do not have permissions to access other Lists in your SP Site.

The Unique permission I mentioned above is scope to individual SP List rather than whole SP Site. If you assign the Unique Permission of SP List to your end users, they could only access this SP List, they could not access other content in your SP Site.

Note: I assume that you did not assign SP Site permission to these end users before.

Best regards,

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

I had previously assigned them list permissions, but not site permissions. If they have edit access to a list, but not the site, will the site show up under their list of "Following" sites on the sharepoint main page? Or will it just never be visible as accessible to the user?

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rsparks ,

If you have assigned Unique Permission (I mentioned above) of your SP list to your end users, the SP Site would not show up/be visible under their "Following" sites on SP Main Pages.

The Unique SP List permission should like as below:5.JPG

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,915)