cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HamidBee
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Why do my columns not display the correct names in PowerApps?

I connected to a SharePoint list data source. Here is an image which shows the data along with the column names:

HamidBee_0-1664465302557.jpeg

When I edited the values in the gallery I was able to use the correct column names as can be seen in the image below:

HamidBee_1-1664465338081.jpeg

But when it came to entering the column names in a Search formula it appears as "field_n" along with other column names such as "Editor". This can be seen below:

HamidBee_2-1664465451815.jpeg

Here is a list of some of the column names that appear:

HamidBee_3-1664465497086.jpeg

Does anyone know why this is?. Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@HamidBee 

When you create a list from Excel in SharePoint, it will do this!  It will not use the column names from your Excel as the column names in SharePoint.

Once a column is named, it can never be renamed.  That is, the "real" name of the column can never be renamed.  You can rename in SharePoint, but it is "visual" only.  The Real name will not change.

PowerApps works with the Real names.

SOME of the function in PowerApps will honor the name change, and some will require the "real/original" name.  Those that honor the changed name will also honor the real name.

To determine a column's real name, you can click on the column in the List Settings of your list and then in the address bar of your browser, look at the end of the URL - it will show the real name.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@HamidBee 

When you create a list from Excel in SharePoint, it will do this!  It will not use the column names from your Excel as the column names in SharePoint.

Once a column is named, it can never be renamed.  That is, the "real" name of the column can never be renamed.  You can rename in SharePoint, but it is "visual" only.  The Real name will not change.

PowerApps works with the Real names.

SOME of the function in PowerApps will honor the name change, and some will require the "real/original" name.  Those that honor the changed name will also honor the real name.

To determine a column's real name, you can click on the column in the List Settings of your list and then in the address bar of your browser, look at the end of the URL - it will show the real name.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Found it!. Thank you very much. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,200)