cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dnourie
Advocate III
Advocate III

Why is my collection automatically converting numbers to a date?

I have an app that is using a gallery as a form and collecting the results from each question's input. With questions that have a text box, I have the 'onchange' property collecting the response. For some reason, if the response in the textbox is a number, the collection populates the value as a date.
For example, entering "1", results in the collection having "1/1/2001".
Entering "123" results in the collection having "1/1/1970".
Entering "5.8" results in the collection having "5/8/2021".
Do you have any ideas why this is happening?
I am hoping this great community can help solve this mystery!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dnourie
Advocate III
Advocate III

Thanks for replying @JR-BejeweledOne !
Unfortunately, this has been confirmed to be a Power Apps glitch.
Patching a collection column with a date picker, SelectedDate value, causes Power Apps to interpret all values added to that column as dates. This is a glitch because it happens even when you wrap the patch in Text() or include a string in the patched value. Any connection to the SelectedDate output corrupts the column.
No odd and creative workarounds (ex. feeding it a label's value, which is fed by SelectedDate) solved the issue.
The only solution was to create a dedicated column in the collection to receive the date value.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JR-BejeweledOne
Super User
Super User

I would start by looking at my patch or collect formula.    If you want you can share your patch or collect formula here.  It might help us to give you a better answer.

If you like this post, give it a Thumbs up. If it answered your question, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.
dnourie
Advocate III
Advocate III

Thanks for replying @JR-BejeweledOne !
Unfortunately, this has been confirmed to be a Power Apps glitch.
Patching a collection column with a date picker, SelectedDate value, causes Power Apps to interpret all values added to that column as dates. This is a glitch because it happens even when you wrap the patch in Text() or include a string in the patched value. Any connection to the SelectedDate output corrupts the column.
No odd and creative workarounds (ex. feeding it a label's value, which is fed by SelectedDate) solved the issue.
The only solution was to create a dedicated column in the collection to receive the date value.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,865)